Author Topic: My 2012 Ventura Fair Agate Display  (Read 1815 times)

elementary

My 2012 Ventura Fair Agate Display
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
For those interested in such things:

I put together my Ventura Co Fair exhibits a couple weeks ago and they are currently being displayed.  Problem is, I forgot to take my camera to the fair when I went so all I have is my preparation shots.

I planned originally to do a case of broken geodes (Yep - that's a category) seen here:

but then got a bug up my ...... I changed my mind and decided to do a case of free form polished agates and jaspers - seen here:

They aren't labeled here, but the case is called "Chasing Agate -Examples of Freeform Polishing"
It captured a Blue Ribbon. (yeah!)

I also put in three individual pieces.
One is the geode on the upper left picture from the broken geode display.  It captured 2nd.

Another piece was put in was for polished limb cast/petrified wood category -  my recently done Texas Limb Cast.

It captured the Blue Ribbon.

And I submitted something for the a single piece free form polishing category- my whale bone from a while back:

It also captured a Blue Ribbon.

It was fun, and good practice for the CFMS show here in Ventura next year!!!

Thanks for looking,

Lowell

chad

Re: My 2012 Ventura Fair Agate Display
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Congrats on the ribbons Lowell, definitely agree that the two were awesome specimens.  As an fan (neurotic addict) of gembone I really enjoy the whalebone you worked.  Turned out nicely and it's something I haven't seen.   

I've got a jar of pink limb casts but your piece is really awesome with how intact it is.  Great color in it too... Inspires me to pull down the jar and see what's in there :)

Congrats again and thanks for sharing with us!

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
Congratulations on the ribbons Lowell - you earned them! yes16

Love your freeform polishing style - you should show a closeup or two (from the freeform display that is - but maybe you did, hard to see the ones in the back) - they defy any style I've seen elsewhere and just look plain cool!
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Rockrangers

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
First time seeing whale bone cut and polished. Very neat looking. yes16
RR

ScarlettoSara

• Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
Congratulations Lowell:) You should start writing a book Lowell. You have such great experience and stories to tell:)

elementary

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
ScarlettoSara:  I don't know if I'll do a book about my own stories, but I just did finish two long books regarding my family history - one an illustrated transcribed book of a collection of family postcards from 1906 through 1959 - the other being an edited and illustrated version of two travel journals my grandmother wrote in 1968 and 1977. (Hence my disappearing from the Agate Index for the past month - no time for both.)  My next family book will be an illustrated version of a diary we have of my grandfather's family traveling from NJ to California in 1920.
Plus:
I am in the middle of redoing my California Agate Index.
AND I am converting to digital a collection of slides taken by one of our rockhound members between the 1940's and the 1960's - including a bunch done as our field trip chairman.  I want to tie this into the following:
AND I am putting together an illustrated history of my rock and mineral club from 1944 to the present - which includes me looking through over 3,000 pages of documents my club has accumulated - including the minutes from our first meeting.

Thank heavens I am OCD and can get lost in the details....my wife wishes it would convert to cleaning the house more often.....

ThirdRock:  Thank you very much for your complements.  I appreciate the kind words very much. 
As for closeups of some of the stones - here you go - more than you wanted, but what the hey....
several I just recently finished and you've probably already seen them:
I APOLOGIZE FOR ANYONE WHO GETS TIRED OF LONG STRINGS OF PHOTOS:
Bruneau:

Chihuahua Mex:

Agate after Barite:

Baker Eggs:

Condors - Argentina:

Lead Pipe Springs, Cal.

Botswana:

Parcelas:

Arrowhead Lane Nodule:

Agate Creek, Australia:

Black Hills, South Dak.

Seam Agate from Hauser Beds, Cal.

(Don't remember if this made the final cut: Laguna, Mex.

Thanks for asking.....I guess I take these photos for a reason,

Lowell

rocknroll

• Jon
    • View Profile
    • rocknroll gems
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
   Beautiful!  thankx for sharing those......wow!

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:27 AM »
ScarlettoSara:  I don't know if I'll do a book about my own stories, but I just did finish two long books regarding my family history - one an illustrated transcribed book of a collection of family postcards from 1906 through 1959 - the other being an edited and illustrated version of two travel journals my grandmother wrote in 1968 and 1977. (Hence my disappearing from the Agate Index for the past month - no time for both.)  My next family book will be an illustrated version of a diary we have of my grandfather's family traveling from NJ to California in 1920.
Plus:
I am in the middle of redoing my California Agate Index.
AND I am converting to digital a collection of slides taken by one of our rockhound members between the 1940's and the 1960's - including a bunch done as our field trip chairman.  I want to tie this into the following:
AND I am putting together an illustrated history of my rock and mineral club from 1944 to the present - which includes me looking through over 3,000 pages of documents my club has accumulated - including the minutes from our first meeting.

Is that all dunno28

chuckle02

I'll be happy if I get a quarter of that done in my entire life! Amazing!

Thank heavens I am OCD and can get lost in the details....my wife wishes it would convert to cleaning the house more often.....
chuckle02

ThirdRock:  Thank you very much for your complements.  I appreciate the kind words very much. 
As for closeups of some of the stones - here you go - more than you wanted, but what the hey....
several I just recently finished and you've probably already seen them:
I APOLOGIZE FOR ANYONE WHO GETS TIRED OF LONG STRINGS OF PHOTOS:
Awesome Rocks! I keep saying this but it's true - I love your style; meshing a natural look with a bit of a worked look - very neat!

I think those who dislike strings of photos are in the minority (I know there are some - no offense intended to you) but most of us practically live for it! yes16
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader