Author Topic: "Frankenstone"  (Read 8142 times)

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
"Frankenstone"
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
So my custom machine project is underway.  I have affectionately given it the name of 'Frankenstone' due to the fact that it is being cobbled together from lots of spare parts and free stuff we have laying around.  And in the end it will be a hybrid, all-in-one machine that will start with rough stone and turn out finished cabs in a single unit.  I decided to post here in misc shop talk since the machine is both a saw and a cabber.  I will update this thread as the project unfolds, which may take longer then I'd hoped for since we are working on it through the holidays.

Basically it all started when my Dad called me up and said he had access to a large commercial stainless steel sink and he thought we could make a machine out of it.  That got the ball rolling and we ended up deciding to build an all-in-one slab saw, trim saw and grinder/polisher in a single unit.  I will share pics here as we progress through the construction of the machine.

My main photobucket folder for this project is here...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ToTheSummit/FRANKENSTONE/
There will also be sub-folders in there relating to certain aspects of the project.  Feel free to browse it all if you care.
YOU invented the wheel, YOU push the damn thing! -Karl (thats me)

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
Re: "Frankenstone"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
It all started with a free 'chassis' and a grand idea....

hulagrub

• When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
Keep us posted!
Dave, a certified Rockaholic

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
My Dad had this beast of a motor laying around that he was dying to use in a project.  This was also another large factor in deciding to build this machine.  It was a motor he used to run cement mixers with back when he had a masonry company.  It is a 5HP motor.  It'll run on 115V or 220V, I'll run it on 220.  It is low RPM (1150) and high torque with a large capacitor startup.  It will be set up with a main driveshaft and a pulley system that runs each tool (slab saw/trim saw/wheel arbor) separately.  Each tool will be able to engage independently.  This motor will be MORE then enough to run multiple tools simultaneously!

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Awesome - can't wait to see what comes of it! 5hp is A LOT - I like this guy  yes16
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Roger

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Takes me back to the 60s and 70s when I was a young pup. A time when horsepower was king. Thinking this might be a "Hot Rod" in the rock world.  Excited to see it develope.   toocool1

rocks2dust

• View Profile
    • rocks2dust items on ebay
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
Awesome! I was just relieved that the title didn't refer to yet another batch of so-called andesine (aka, "Frankenstone" and "Scamdesine") fresh from the "all natural" furnaces of China.

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Ahhhh!  The frustration!  Spent the week getting all the components gathered together and had planned on working on this project all through this long holiday weekend.  But my Dad fried the chip in the plasma cutter yesterday and we need to cut holes for mounting everything.  And if you've ever had experience trying to drill holes or cut slots in stainless steel you know the futility of it.  It eats drill bits and saw blades for lunch.  The plasma cutter is really a necessity to continue at this point.

Oh well, its not going anywhere and neither are we.  New chip for the plasma cutter be here next week and we'll continue.  Now I just gotta figure out what to do with my long holiday weekend!

Merry Christmas to all!

Bentiron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
Take Dad and Kids and go rock hounding even it is just to a dry river bed with a spray bottle so that you are not bring home so many duds. Family time spent out of doors is always a great time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
No work done over the long Christmas weekend, but got the arbor mounted for the slab saw after work today.

It is mounted with two bearings, one inside and one outside, bolted back-to-back to each other.

Also, here is where the motor will be mounted.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
Some kool looking red-eyed monsters in the back ground of the last photo............ hide35
Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Roger

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
Enjoying every picture keep it up. Great work.

thewrightthings

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
I so admire people who can build stuff from other stuff.  Really nice work!

ToTheSummit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Some more work has been done.  Pics coming this weekend.  I really want to interrupt this project for a weekend at Quartzite though!!  bricks21

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
Do it.................

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1