Author Topic: Another name for Nebula stone?  (Read 1540 times)

GardenMom

Another name for Nebula stone?
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
We found an interesting ocean tumbled stone on the beach in San Carlos, Mexico. It looked like kambaba jasper, but after further internet searching we found it under a trademarked name of Nebula Stone (tm). Friends of ours found it on the beaches here over 10 years ago and thought it was interesting. The owners of the trademarked name are stating they were the first people to find it. It's everywhere on the beaches, polishes nicely. I want to use for some wire-wrapped cabs.  Any ideas on what I can call this stuff? Should I just make up another name for it?

This is what I read about it. Personally, I'm not into the metaphysical thing......
http://www.spiritmythos.org/earth/mer/crystals/nebulastone.htm

Mark

• View Profile
    • Darkstar Jewelry Etsy shop
Re: Another name for Nebula stone?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
I thought i remembered that the story was, that they found it way out in the boonies somewhere like up in the mountains and that it looked like the beautiful night time sky.  I guess you could just call it a jasper or unknown blah blah jasper.

Mark

Mark

• View Profile
    • Darkstar Jewelry Etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
You know, if there is a local name, as in the natives or locals call it  blah blah stone, then you could probably get away with referring to it by that name while mentioning "the natives or locals "

Mark

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
It has orbicular patterns.  Call it "Green Orb Jasper."
Calling it that you're not stepping on anyone's toes or creating problems.

CosmicFolklore

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
Nebula is just another name for kambaba jasper.  The ignorant part of trademarking a name like that is that no one else can use the name.  I've run into legal issues with trademarked names several times in the design industry, and the only enforcement there is for protecting a trade mark is a nasty letter and private lawsuits which would cost the people who want to protect the name thousands, with very little threat to the accused. 
On this one issue with these people, they can't enforce their trademark, and it is just a new name for a poor quality kambaba.  Call it kambaba jasper.  Whatever story these people tell is most likely just a story.  I wouldn't put any stock in it.  Calling it Nebula would just give them publicity.  Just my 2 cents :)

lithicbeads

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
 Make up a name if need be . " Atlantasite " is in the same category. Free our stones!

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »
Post some pictures of it too...   dunno28

GardenMom

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
I know they say they found it by hiking up into some seluded valley. If you hike up into the hills around San Carlos, it's there lying on the ground, so it makes sense it's on the beaches, too. The black of the stone is somewhat translucent, almost like jade. The green orbs appear to be softer material since they have weathered a bit more into slight depressions on the stones. Guess I'll need to be careful of those spots when polishing at home.

GardenMom

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Kambaba jasper has a lot more green than these stones. I think we'll call it Nakapule jasper since we saw the first stone hiking up the trail in Nakapule Canyon just outside of San Carlos. Or maybe San Carlos jasper....

urbtaf

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
Its a nice mix of several stones, take your pick for a name. As for the people who trademarked the name well read their words "its harder than diamonds"
Sums up just how much they really know.