Author Topic: ADS  (Read 10880 times)

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
ADS
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
You will see ads start cropping up on the forum.
We are about to run out of ad-free credits.
Currently unless it becomes a huge problem, we are not going to buy any more ad-free credits as we are hoping to move this forum to a private server, meaning then we won't have ads anyways.  Why buy ad-free credits when it will be moot hopefully soon...

phishisgroovin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lapidaryforum.net
Re: ADS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
The backup of the forum is underway.
Once i have this, i will be rebuilding this forum on a new server, one that is faster, one we have more control over, biggest and most of all this FREE server is 300,000 times more expensive than my paid hosting.

Once i recieve the download, any new topics and new members that join from the point of backup wont be in the new forum.
New members that join after tonight (4-25-2016) may not make it into the new forum and you will have to rejoin over there once its completed and live. this may take me a little bit.
This forum will become archived (unable to join or post on at the time the other new faster forum goes live).

phishisgroovin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lapidaryforum.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:29 PM »
Until then, adblock plus. please download it, block ads all over the net free.
I am using it and i do not see any ads here even though there are some.

For firefox only.
https://adblockplus.org/

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
Randy, you rock.   yippie24

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
There used to be a  way that members could contribute $$ to help offset costs. Why don't you get that up & going again ? It's not fair that only 1 or 2 people are footing the bill.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

phishisgroovin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lapidaryforum.net
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »
There used to be a  way that members could contribute $$ to help offset costs. Why don't you get that up & going again ? It's not fair that only 1 or 2 people are footing the bill.

There is a link on Lapidaryforum,net
that is my hosting, that paypal acct is also accessible by Enchantra as i will NEVER misuse the funds from this fine group of people.
At NO TIME are any funds whatsoever misappropriated to ANYTHING they are not used for anything without group discussion and group (staff =admins and mods) agreement..

You will see, i have already built a new website just like this one. well almost just like this one.
Enchantra put the topics and boards together, I just did the major stuff setting up the server, installing the forum, etc....

phishisgroovin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lapidaryforum.net
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
I have placed the paypal link above on this forum also. dead center top.

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
Randy, go to bed!  You've been up far to long!
This place will still be here tomorrow for us to work on.  Get some rest.

phishisgroovin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lapidaryforum.net
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »
 hide35 SHEEESH!!!  crackthewhip

finegemdesigns

• View Profile
    • finegemdesigns
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
nearlyfreespeech.net is also excellent and charges by bandwidth used.

Talusman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:14:23 AM »
So there are two nearly identical forums? Is the plan to merge them?

-Jeremy

55fossil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 05:15:53 AM »
DONATIONS>>>>

I donate occasionally as I think it is worth it. I assume you need donations to help pay for the new site? So, here goes:
I will make a donation today, $25, nothing huge. So, all the rest of you folks who are commercial can consider this as priming the pump and I would like to see you all jump in and donate too. Nobody getting rich here, just an honest thank you, sort of a tip for our hosts to help pay bills. So, anybody with even a few bucks, please jump on board and help stock the kitty. For the rest of the folks who are just here for fun and learning......  Think of how much money you have saved and how much you have learned.

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »
I'm in for $25.00. Hope others will join in to help support our forum.

Don

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
Right now the backup of the Database is what is going to cost money.  The rest of the stuff is already paid for.  If you wish to donate so we have funds for the host renewal fee in a year or so that's fine.  The new server does not charge for image space - in fact it's unlimited.  So you will never go to post and find the image space has been used up, and no one's images will ever be deleted due to a lack of disk space. 

ok because the question was asked...

Phishisgroovin, myself and several others all love this community...
Two years ago when George came back things happened that left many people quite visibly upset.  That said several of us started the construction of another forum on a MUCH CHEAPER hosting platform with the same software so in the event George decided he didn't want his forum anymore, we would be able to merge the two and save this forum from a sad fate.

The above actions were done so none of the knowledge shared here would be lost, and we could all still have a place to play and learn.  It was a labor of love on the part of myself, Phishisgroovin, Lithicbeads, MrsWTownsend, Hummingbirdstones, Helene Fielder, Asianfire, GoodEarth, Tntmom, and ChristopherAnthony. 

The other forum is still under some form of construction and once the merger happens if anyone has suggestions for more sections for the board, I'm all ears.  You will see some different sections over there to cover areas this forum didn't cover.  If anything is missing, by all means let me know and one of us can get in there and make more boards easily enough.

If y'all wish to check it out at this point and kick it's tires before the merger happens, head on over to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
New forum looks good.  yes16 Glad to see that you added a place for other hobbies. I'm just getting back into leather work after being away from it since the 1970's.

Don