Author Topic: Testing To Destruction - Mojave Turquoise  (Read 10669 times)

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
Testing To Destruction - Mojave Turquoise
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
I tend to believe that there are a lot of people and companies engaging in fraud in regard to a lot of stone being sold as "real" when in fact it is far from being even mostly stone. 

So I bought a cheap "Mojave Turquoise" set in a costume jewelry setting just to test to destruction. 

The first picture shows the cab out of the mounting.  Look carfully at the girdle and you can see that the finish is sprayed on!  I really would like to know what they used as it looked great and I really thought it was just the polish on the cab.  The weird part is I did a test polish that is shown in the last picture and it sands and polishes very easily using ZAM for the final polish.

The 2nd picture shows the cab after i drew a circle on it with a microtorch.  With very little heat the green dyed color basically evaporated out of the material.

The third picture shows the cab actually burning which is really difficult with real stone!  The stuff burning is the plastic resin that was used to cement the pieces of stone together.

The fourth picture Shows the back of the cab up against the known sample of the stone I beleive is being used for this process - Howlite.  I personally do not believe there is any turquoise of any sort in the "Mojave Turquoise".  I bought the blue Howlite (AKA Magnesite) to do a low cost knife that looked like turquoise for a request from one of my regular buyers. 

Howlite is also sold in its natural state, sometimes under the misleading trade names of "white turquoise" or "white buffalo turquoise".  I beleive that if you ever pin down those selling this and several other claimed turquoise stones that they will fall back to this as their origin for calling the material "stone" and "Turquoise"  The definition noted above is directly from Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia.[/b]

The last picture is of the stone where I cut and polished it.  It does cut, sand and polish easily but you need to know what you are really buying as in my opinion it is being fradulently sold as "turquoise".

Taogem

• View Profile
Re: Mojave Turquoise tested to destruction
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
The only couple of purchases of this kind of material for me is the Purple Turquoise/Bronze, Confetti, and Orang Coral.. All are pressed resins.. Like Amanda mentioned in another thread... "Stabilized, Dyed and chemically enhanced".

That really does sum up these different kinds of pressed materials.

Remember, this Mojave Turquoise is faux.. I know it is not generally stated, but some sellers do clarify that.

Philip (Steel and Stone) shared how the company Thunderbird describes this material they sell.

"Many people are surprised to learn that only about 25% of turquoise is usable or desirable in its natural, untreated form. Most untreated turquoise is a fragile, porous stone with a tendency to undergo changes in color when exposed to light, perspiration, oils, and detergents. While turquoise is hard enough to be considered a gemstone, it is comparatively soft. The following are various treatments done to turquoise to keep it from fading or crumbling.

Stabilized
Impregnated with acrylic or epoxy to harden the stone and enhance the color. Stabilized turquoise will not change color over time. "

I think what has unfortunately happened to you is that you happened upon someone selling straight up junk ! Especially considering they spray painted on a polish.

I don't believe any of this faux material would hold up under even minimal torch heat though.. I would expect the same reaction as you got from applying even a minimal amount of heat to it..

Excellent pictorial showing your "test to destruction" !  yes16

Mark

• View Profile
    • Darkstar Jewelry Etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:38 AM »
George, do you know for a fact that the Vietnamese Orange Coral is not real Coral?  I always thought it was the real thing.  I have never noticed any hot resin smell when working it, like i do when i cab some of the man made, compressed, or stabilized stuff.

Mark

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:57:37 AM »

So I bought a cheap "Mojave Turquoise" set in a costume jewelry setting just to test to destruction. 

ScarlettoSara

• Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
LOLOL MIchael cool test:)  Domo Arigoto Dr. Destructo:)

Informative post Thanks:)

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
George, do you know for a fact that the Vietnamese Orange Coral is not real Coral?  I always thought it was the real thing.  I have never noticed any hot resin smell when working it, like i do when i cab some of the man made, compressed, or stabilized stuff.

Mark

Have not actually cabbe either of the two slabletts purchased.. One seems to show obvious resins on the edge. The second one appears to show some resin, but could well be broken fossil too..