Author Topic: Hello from Marsville  (Read 3299 times)

Dumbass

• View Profile
Hello from Marsville
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
Hello, my name is Patrick and I am a rock hound. I always had an interest in some field stone I would find growing up near Palmer Rapids ON. I'd save the odd interesting piece and when I found out about a mine near Quadeville that would let you take what ever you could carry for a fee of $5, I couldn't help but come away with 2  5 gallon buckets of mostly Quartz. That was about 25 years ago and, being a dumbass, I've moved those rocks from apartment to apartment, house to house for 25 years. Recently I started getting lapidary equipment and started seeing the amazing rocks and gems that are out there. I started with a tumbler, then I found a cabochon preformer which needs a bit of attention. Last year I got a lortone combo machine,  vibrating flat lap and a bit of rough amethyst. Recently I came across a Royal rock saw and the same seller sold me all of his rough stock for great prices. Larimar, malachite, rhodochrosite,chrysoprase, lapis lazuli, petrified wood, Dino bone etc. WOW!!
I am a cabinetmaker whose head is full of wood and sawdust, and have next to no knowledge, of working with stone. I've kinda gone about the journey backwards, but I've finally arrived here to see what to do with my massive pile of rocks, and how to do it. The Quartz is all out in the yard since it pales in comparison to the other stuff I've got.
Sorry to run on so much...looking forward to gaining what ever knowledge and advice I can from this awesome site.

James D. Farrow

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Marsville
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
Welcome from Mississauga, Ontario!

welcome1

James
James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

"No more trains will be sold once the magazine leaves the station"

Charles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
 welcome1 from Southern Oklahoma. Pull up a chair and join in the chitchat

Desertwind

• View Profile
    • Lightninghorse's shop
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
Welcome from southern New Mexico.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »
 welcome1 ..............to the............. chitchat ....................from New Mexico.............. hatsoff14
Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Alvin

• View Profile
    • Theriault Flies
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
welcome from Maine

mrlnavy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
Welcome from Pensacola FL.
Mike Longoria Sr

Kaljaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »
Welcome from Washington!

Rockoteer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Welcome from Oregon, Dumbass.

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

peruano

• Central New Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »
Welcome and howdy.  You are on your way to a full-time endeavor having the equipment and the raw materials.  Doing a bit of preforming work on the material before it goes in the tumbler is certainly a way to 1. guarantee you will like something on the other end, and 2. speeding the process. (especially with a vibratory tumbler).
I love working with the irregular nature of the stones and letting them determine the final shape and size rather than totally inflicting my will on the end product.  Slicing off some slabettes, working them over on the cab machine, and running them through the polishing process in the tumbler always yields surprises and smiles.  Don't hesitate to pop some pictures up for us to admire. We love photos.  Tom 
Tom
Zoologist turned to Rocks

peristerite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Hello neighbour,
My first ever post and my first ever forum... there will be lots of mistakes and I have no idea if I am doing this right, but I think I'm replying to the person who grew up near quadville. I've had fun collecting there a few times. I still haven't figured out how to introduce myself to everone!
sounds like you hit the jackpot with the equipment and stone.
Best of luck

Dumbass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 06:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome messages. Haven't been here as much as I'd like to be yet. Hopefully, once things warm up a bit, I can start getting things set up and get some photos posted.

Yes, Peristerite, I grew up a few minutes from Quadeville. Miss the old stomping grounds. Not much there other than a huge abundance of rocks. Perhaps one day I will return..it is beautiful country up there.

55fossil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 05:29:32 AM »
Welcome aaboard, it only gets wilder. And from one Dum bass to another... Did you say there is a place where there is almost nothing other than rock? What a beautiful thought. Cannot wait to see some pictures.  good luck

hulagrub

• When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
Welcome from Northwest Arkansas!
Dave, a certified Rockaholic