Author Topic: Ultra-tec V2  (Read 1770 times)

reinhardt

Ultra-tec V2
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
I'm brand new to this hobby and have been looking for used cabbing setups and trim saws.  Went to an estate sale and picked up one of these:

http://www.ultratec-facet.com/V2Main.htm

I would love to say that I knew what I was getting, but I bought it thinking it was some strange kind of horizontal lap.  I got about 10 or so Crystalite wheels with it.  I've spent the better part of the morning cleaning it up and it looks nice and everything works.

My questions are what are people's thoughts on these?  Are they good machines?  I've never really thought much about faceting and as I'm just beginning I was really looking to get some experience cabbing.  That being said, should I keep it just in case (they are quite expensive new)? 

Any thoughts or shared experience with the V2 would be greatly appreciated.

trigon

• View Profile
Re: Ultra-tec V2
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
Ultra-tec's are very good machines. I have an old one that I need to learn to use better. If you are a beginning cabber, I can tell you that a lot of people move on into more advanced cutting like carving and faceting. If that's the case for you, I'd think you'll be very happy you have that machine, someday.

Just curious, what did you pay for it?

reinhardt

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
For around $200 I'm replacing the drain pan, the reservoir and tubing and the rubber feet as they're all shot.  As far as the price goes, let's just say that I'm spending more than four times as much to replace those parts than I did for the machine and the wheels. 

dickb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
You got it for a great price. I would need to see it to tell how old a machine it is, but any machine is a good starter machine if it is still tight and will hold the angle settings. I would suggest going on utube and looking at the vids posted there on faceting. I think you realize it is a expensive hobby, but learning how to facet is a good idea if you have a way to sell the stones you make.

As far as age goes, Ultra tec can tell you how old it is, if you contact them with the serial number and ask when it was made.

Welcome to the forum.

Dickb
Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Eu_citzen

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:39 AM »
I hear a lot of good things about them. If you got one I'd sure try my hand at faceting if I where you!
Faceting is time consuming but very rewarding!

Go to youtube and search for "Faceting 101". It should get you an idea of what you are up to.
I think there are around 10-15 videos in that series, all very useful for the beginner.

check that you got the transferblock and Dopsticks to.

Hummingbirdstones

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »
You got a fabulous deal on that machine!  You can call Ultra-Tec and give them the serial number of the machine and they will tell you the year it was built.  You can also send it to them and they will upgrade it (if you want), adjust it, etc. and send it back to you like it was brand-spanking new.

I'm jealous!   yes16