Author Topic: Intarsia Question  (Read 3855 times)

rocknut

Intarsia Question
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
I have checked out the section on making cabbed intarsias and understand gluing individual or two pieces onto one main piece. But my question to everyone out there is I want to glue small pieces together making a mosaic pattern; do I have to glue just two pieces together or can I glue several pieces together using plastic wrap as a temp. work surface?

Thanks
Rocknut

Bluesssman

Re: Intarsia Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »
I think the key here is glue setting time. I am guessing you will have all of the pieces cut and fitted to each other so it will be just a matter of adding the glue to the mix. I see no problem with gluing multiple piece together at the same time.

I am really looking forward to seeing your project!!

Gary

theimage1

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »
The main problem with intarsia (from the gluing perspective) is that it is very hard to get a good fit when you try to get three pieces glued at once where they all overlap. Normally you glue two together and then re-lap the end of the joint(s) where the next piece must fit. It can be done the other way, but it takes a lot of time to cut, compare, and re-fit until all joints a correct. (If you over cut slightly then you have to throw out the short piece and start again.)

Look at the image below ...
In the first case (1) you have to cut both of the yellow side pieces to fit while maintaining the fit to the center piece. Now you can calculate the angles needed and take your time and lap them precisely. But I think you will find this is very time consuming.

In the second example (2) you only have to glue two straight lines with a little overlap. (You could also do the third side (3rd) at the same time (I just didn't illustrate it.) Once the glue is dried you simply use a trim saw to cut off the extra and then lap the sides  flat again. Now glue on the other three side with a little hang-over, let them dry and again trim and lap the outside. (6 sides only two gluing steps) NO weird angles to cut.

Turns out even sided stones 4, 6, 8, etc. (if large enough) can be glued, trimmed and re-lapped in only two steps. Odd sided stone must have one additional step. 3 sided (3 steps), 5 sided (3 steps), 7 sided (3 steps) etc. (see small gray diagrams inserted in larger one.) They show the order of gluing steps.

theimage1

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
The question about Geometric Patterns is a bit hard to answer as there are an infinite number of patterns possible. What I have diagramed below represents the steps for  "very few " possible patterns.
1) glue together a bunch of strips
2) cut across the glued strips (Straight or at an angle)
3) rotate every other strip and reglue or rotate and offset and reglue or rotate a different direction and reglue
or rotate a different direction and offset and reglue or etc. etc.
4) use the new pattern or once again cut at a angle and repeat step 3 and 4

As you can see from the image this can produce a number of patterns. Now if you create two different strip sets say the blue and yellow one shown and then a red and white one, now you can combine them to create 4 color mosaics, or add a third color pair strip etc. etc. etc.

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »
Nice demo!

rocknroll

• Jon
    • View Profile
    • rocknroll gems
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
...holy cow...that's awesome!!  ..i gotta try that.  thanks!!!!

-Jon

Willy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
I love your explanation and diagrams on Intersia.  Had heard of it and have seen some interesting work and always wondered how done.

I must pass on however a very disappointing situation with Intarsia recently.  Saw a couple beautiful Rhyolite pendants that were advertised as Intarsia Pendants.  Was trying to figure out what was used to make the highlight and was told by another person that the maker probably used Onyx.  For the price and free shipping I was more than willing to try one, so ordered one, and to my total amazement when arrived, all that had been done was a small round line (probably from a dremel tool) was made around the edge of the stone about 1/4 in inch from all edges, and then a black magic marker (not even a perminent type) was used to fill the indent to look like a black colored stone had been inserted.  All I can say is with some extra polishing thank heavens I hope to end up with a decent Rhyolite Fan Pendant.  Not worth the cost or effort to return, but they did get bit of a harsh e-mail.

As said, sure glad to see how the real Intarsia is done.  Thanks much.

Willy

rocknut

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
Another awesome Thank you to 'theimage1' for such detail and in depth presentation. Not only inspired me but it seems other too.

Again, Thank You

Jim

instarsia

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Hello some great advice and examples here I am glad to see people are still doing this, it is a very time consuming art. One note also is when the pieces have a super tight fit the two pieces will have almost a suction reaction with each other and the glue.

skystone

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
If I understand what you want to do. Yes you can I've used super glue type to glue 2 or3 pieces together before fitting others at somewhat random order. Or if you know the basic sive piece you want to end up with. You can cut a backing piece a little larger & start from one side adding a piece at a time as you fit the pieces. It may be a bit more labor intensive & fitting trial & error (for me it's more error LOL). That's how I did this Bolo tie just stared cuting & adding scrap pieces as I went. The small piece of Turquoise is set down in a void that was in the Rhodochrosite. I hoged out the void & fit the Turquoise in it & epoxied it in place. Is this something like what you had in mind? Oh it's all backed with a piece of an old 45 reccord LOL.
Mike

HarveyDunn

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how to "hog out" a void as was done here. Diamond bit in a Dremel tool?

skystone

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Yep that's the way I did it. There was already a hole & I just opened it up big enough to shape a piece to go in it.