Author Topic: Suggested tent for craft shows  (Read 1860 times)

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
Suggested tent for craft shows
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
I'm looking for a 10x10 ft tent with sides to use for upcoming craft fairs.  Any suggestions for model, or where to purchase?  I've been watching the local Craigslist, but not much has come up.  It looks like the going price is in the $300 range? 
'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Always interested in trading slabs or rough

lopacki

• View Profile
Re: Suggested tent for craft shows
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:54 AM »
Greg,
Suzi and I purchased a quick shade 10X10 at the Tucson show from a local Sports supply company. The cost was 189.00 I was on their website the other day and saw that you could buy sides for it at a very reasonable price. We bought the expedition 100 here is a link for their website so you can see what they offer. http://www.quikshade.com/

I would think if you live in a large area you could find one locally.

All my best .......... Danny

johnjsgems

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
I can tell you what not to buy.  Any of the bargain priced pop ups.  We went through two or three early on.  The steel frames would break (usually when someone was nice enough to help set up and didn't know how).  We had an aluminum frame one that was very easy to set up.  I watched it implode in the high winds one day while at the old Cloud's gem show near Laughlin.  At Buena Vista show one year I noticed after a windy evening about 6 or so actual EZ Up brand tents with top poles sticking through the top.  If you are setting up in wind free areas you may have better luck than I did.  You can buy tarps for side panels if top doesn't include them.  They will be 10 X 7 usually (actual size 9-6 by 6-6) Gaps at ends though.

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Danny, thanks for the tip.  The shipping prices were really high from that site, but they also sell through Walmart and other sites.  I was able to get it with free shipping from the Walmart site. 
'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

redrockrods

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »
It really depends on how many shows you're going to do, and how much you want to invest. None of the "easy up" canopies are going to fair well through extreme wind and weather conditions. If weather conditions get ugly while you're at a show, it's best to pack up and take it down before the wind and rain hit. I have had an Undercover Pro 10x10 pop up canopy ($400) for 3 years, but it met it's match one morning at a show when freak winds came up and took it out. Me and about 12 other easy up style canopy users ended up having to bag the show that day despite having 200lbs of weight on it. I was able to repair and salvage the canopy later, but it doesn't make up for the revenue lost at the show. If you're looking do do shows professionally, an upgrade to something like Light Dome or Trim Line. ($1000)

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:18:27 AM »
Quick update on this.  I received my tent from Walmart in the mail.  Damaged in shipping, some plastic pieces broken.  I returned to my local Walmart for a refund.  Then I found the same tent from 'Rural King' for about $30 less, delivered ($150 total).  Received that test last week.  Set it up to test it, very nice.  I look forward to using it this weekend for my first outdoor show. 

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
We got a good tent from Costco a few years back that includes the sides and is easy to set up. I can't remember what it cost but it was in the $200 - $300 range. We use it at car shows when my wife shows off her 65 GTO. It folds up into a small enough size to fit in the trunk along with a cooler and 3 chairs. Those GTOs do have a large trunk, though.
Bob

Helene

• View Profile
    • http://www.potterybyhelene.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
I have a light dome, nice and sturdy during bad weather.  An easy up for one day show if good weather is in the forecast.