Author Topic: Lapis Nevada sphere  (Read 11344 times)

john likes rocks!

• View Profile
Re: Lapis Nevada sphere
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
Super Spheres! Sure enjoy seeing them thanks!

bgast1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
I used to sell precision ground plastic balls. The ones the size of these spheres were very expensive. I am not anywhere where I can collect rock. I would like to know what a rock of generally inexpensive material large enough to cut a 6" sphere would cost. I know the cost of a sphere machine from looking at the Kingsley North Catalog. I have always wanted to make spheres but now I am wondering if the cost involved might be prohibitive for me. At least I can make small spheres if I want. Now that I think about it, a tutorial on how to make small spheres would be nice. In the meantime I am going to try it the next time that I get my saw running. I only have a 10" saw so I guess there is another cost added to what I just thought about. I guess large spheres are going to be prohibitive for me unless I find (figure out) a way to make them by hand.

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
When u get a few minutes I will tell you how you can make them by hand. They don't have to be big. I have done a lot of ones under 3".

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
Ok I have a few minutes   The rock that I have cut 6" spheres from have weighed 50lb or more. I spent $300.00 on the sodalite rock, but I got a lot of slabbing material from it. The price of the rock can vary from $1.00 a lb to ?  I am able to collect a lot of rock where I live.

You can make a sphere by hand but it is a lot of work. if you search the internet you can find better instructions than I can Give you.you will need some kind of motor drive (100 to 200rpm is best)  with a spindle that you can attach a 3/4' pipe thread male adapter and a steel pipe adapter from 2" to 3/4" , a brass 2" pipe 90 and a short piece of pipe for a handle. Cut a cube of rock (3" ?) and than cut off all the corners and hand grind it to a some what round preform. Start with 90 grit wet slurry and put the preform between the two pipe fittings and start grinding, rocking the pipe fitting around to keep the preform rocking and rolling always in motion keep it wet and add grit as needed, when round clean up everything one piece of grit will ruin everything if there are any cracks or pores you will have to clean the grit out of the rock,  progress thru the grits always cleaning between grits. Polish you can attach felt or some other material to hold the polish.
 a softer rock like serpentine or travertine oynx  would be easier to do.  or spend a bunch of money on a sphere machine Or You can buy a sphere from someone that makes them

Sandsave

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 03:46:39 AM »
True story Jhon, it's would be tough to do by hand but not impossible.
Here is a Queen stone from the southern Utah area I just finished up. I'm working on a
Honeycomb Onyx right now.

bgast1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
Thanks. I just got an idea for smaller spheres and as soon as I cut a cab for someone then I will give it a try. There are tutorials for smaller ones on youtube.

Sandsave

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Honeycomb Onyx, just finished this evening. Quite nice material to work with, nice trade for some Wyoming Jade huh! Didn't take a real high shine,but it's eye candy.

Jay

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
That's a pretty one . Do you know if the oynx came from oynx springs in the panimint mountian near Death Valley. I went there a couple of years ago and collected 800 lbs and split it with a friend. We wanted to go back but the mine owner didn't want to do anouther fee dig right now. It is real cool rock easy to work and takes a great polish. Don't leave it in the sun it will turn white. I have a big piece setting by the 24" saw to cut for a sphere. Should get one over 6"
I think that I have made six spheres form 3" to 6" from that onyx
Here is a labradorite I just finished and an agate from a rock that I stole from a friends rock collection. I may give if back to her

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »
Sandsave. How big is the queen stone. I would like to get some of the to make a sphere out of but it may be a little far for a field trip?. Is it a rhyolite? Going to try and go out to wonder stone mountian in a couple of weeks and get a few pieces big enough to make spheres out of

Sandsave

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
It's about 5". I'm not sure what type of stone it is for sure, it pretty hard, I'd say a 5 1/2-6. It comes from the Salina Utah area and we are planning to go down later this summer. I'll pick you up a chunk.

Sandsave

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
I can trade you somthing ? I have a couple of different oynx or lapis Nevada (mostly green with some pink, I may try to make a trip back to the mine and was going to look for more pink )
Planning on a trip to wonder stone mountian and over the hill for some green serpentine.

Sandsave

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
Sounds like a plan, I'll PM you when we head down, it will be later this summer.

Sandsave