Author Topic: Re-furbishing Highland Park Polisher/Grinder A-52  (Read 1409 times)

moonshadow8

Re-furbishing Highland Park Polisher/Grinder A-52
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
Hi,

I am new to this forum (first post) and have a question to what I hope is a simple answer.
I have been successful in removing my Highland Park arbor from the cabinet and want to replace the 2 grinding wheels (worn out).
There is a great example (with pictures) of removing the wheels for a B-52 model, but not a lot of explaination on what I need to do when I try to remove the bearing housing from the arbor.
I loosened the set screw and next I believe I need to use a wooden board and some light hammering to push the bearings off of the arbor end.
But I wanted to make sure before I forced the bearings and make them non-usable.  Or if there is something I need to do to free up the bearing assembly.

Thanks,  Joe Waldron

Roger

Re: Re-furbishing Highland Park Polisher/Grinder A-52
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
Pretty good at mechanical issues. But need a picture to be sure of advise offered.    help26

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
Wire brush all the gray dust and caked on debris away. With a strip of sand paper sand the shaft smooth. Spray a lot of WD-40 on the shaft and at the junction with the bearings. Go sit down in your recliner with a beer, relax, have supper, get a good night's sleep and respray the shaft and bearings in the morning. Gently pound the bearings with a wood piece and hammer. They should move by this process.
Bob

johnjsgems

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
If they are the original bearings there should be one set screw and one dimple.  After removing the set screw use a screw driver or punch in the dimple and tap with hammer opposite the direction of rotation.  The lock collar should spin off fairly easily.  I use sand paper I buy in rolls for plumbers.  Sand all exposed shaft areas until shiny smooth.  Use a good penetrating oil on the bearings.  If you plan on reusing best to let the oil do it's work.  Gentle tapping won't hurt the bearings.  Also use a steel file and file smooth the set screw marks in the shaft.  If the bearings have any play or feel or sound rough at all replace them when you reassemble.

slabbercabber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Good advise both times.  WD40 is not my first choice.  Penetrating oils have been around since liquid wrench first came out somewhere in the first half of the last century.  I still like it best, but there are a lot more choices today.  Just give it time to work.  I like to use a brass hammer, but any semi hard faced hammer should work.  They do the same job as the wood, but with a lot less fuss.  Be sure to clean up the shaft before reassembly and lubricate with light oil like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil.  Just for the record, WD40 is not a true oil, but it does do a credible job of lubricating on short term basis.  It will evaporate in a few weeks.

johnjsgems

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
WD40 will work pretty well.  I took apart a 35 year old Lortone LU6X and an equally old HP saw last week.  I always have WD40 and didn't have Liquid Wrench.  For really stuck/rusty parts you can't beat a good penetrating oil and time.