Author Topic: Drill bits  (Read 2134 times)

Larry Patrick

• View Profile
Drill bits
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Just purchased 100 bits from Daniel Lopacki,nice guy talked to  him a on phone. A month ago bought a dremmel 3000,was drilling some stones with their diamond bit, but  really wasn't getting enough holes drilled before it was shot. Knew there had to be a better way. Question is I just received these bits today 25 1mm 25 1.25 25 1.5 and 25 2 mm. Anyway the chuck in the dremmel wont tighten that small,anyone know if dremmel makes an adjustable chuck to go that small? What tool is usually used with such small shanks? Maybee get a drill press down the road,looking for a way to use these bits now  Thanks.

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
Re: Drill bits
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »
Look for a pin vise small enough to fit your Dremel chuck.  You should be able to find what you need here. http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/28726-s94-general-vinyl-pouch-pin-vise-sets.html

Pin vises come in various sizes. Some will close all the way down to 0.00 MM.  Good ones are expensive, but will run true. Cheaper ones may wobble a little bit, making them rough on tiny drill bits.

If the shank on the pin vise is too long for your Dremel chuck, you should be able to shorten it with a hacksaw. Just be sure to remove all burrs from the edge of the cut.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

gemfeller

• View Profile
    • Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
This Dremel chuck should handle the range of shank sizes you mention:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=4486

I use bits from 1 mm. up to 5/32" with my Foredom #30 handpiece which can be converted to a drill press.  You'll need a flex-shaft motor, shaft and drill press accessory though. 

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
Another thing that comes to mind. Specs on the Dremel 3000 say the low speed is 5,000 RPM. Isn't that a bit fast for diamond drills ?
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Larry Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
Kinda did things backwards,bought dremmel first so not sure about stats,but will look it up. Can Anyone suggest what RPMs do drill at on stones?

gemfeller

• View Profile
    • Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
Larry, the harder the stone, the higher the speed.  This link gives general stone drilling instructions and has a speed guide if you scroll down.  I think they recommend 18,000 to 28,000 rpm for your size drill bits with hard stones like agate and jasper.  I also noticed drill stands are available from Dremel for its various models.

http://www.inlandcraft.com/howto/drilling/using_diamond_drills.htm

Larry Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
Thanks for drilling chart,also bought 4486 chuck it works in dremmel.