Author Topic: micro pits and fractures caused by high speed?  (Read 4453 times)

slabbercabber

• View Profile
Re: micro pits and fractures caused by high speed?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
If you suspect vibration may I suggest you try a few tests.  The machine should feel virtually the same whether running or not.  Rest the end of a light screwdriver on top of the machine while holding the far end lightly with two fingers.  If it moves by itself, you have a problem.  Rest the end of that screwdriver against the face of each wheel and against the face of each belt on your expando.  Any bounce at all indicates a problem.

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »
Hey Slabber

Thanks for replying. Yes the expand has more vibration than the nova wheels. By design of expand wheels that is to be expected in my opinion. Compaired to my flat lap the expand runs smooth hide35  My disks are all made with scrap wood a drill and jig saw. Not close to be in ballance help26

I am looking at new base plate for my flat lap. If I order tomorrow I can have 1 by Saturday. That is the easiest way for me to take this testing to the next level. Heck if I could ever make it to the club house I could figure this out real guick.

Again thanks for the input. I will post my findings when I get some more.

Bless
Shawn

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »
Hi All

I have an update. Testing so far makes me believe that it is a vibration problem. I did set this stone down for 3 days while I thought about it.

1) Tried all of my home made flat lap wheels for vibration and picked 1.

2) Found a new 45 micron disk installed and dressed it.

3) Sanded and sanded.

4) switched to another disk I found 20 micron and sanded and sanded

5) Look at in sun light today
and saw that there is a big improvement

More updates coming

Bless
Shawn