Author Topic: Obsidian Knife  (Read 8913 times)

rarerocksandgems

Re: Obsidian Knife
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
 Great Knife!
I had a few Archeology classes back in college (Idaho State). Professor Mark Plew was a world class flint knapper who made surgical scalpel blades out of flakes of obsidian back in the late 70's and was a contemporary of Don Crabtree.  He told us when a thin flake is knocked off correctly the edge is the sharpest any man made edge could ever make. The reason is that the molecular structure of the obsidian is such that it can cleavage all the way down to the last molecule. Thus giving the sharpest edge possible.
Philip-

ScarlettoSara

• Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »
Adrian:) Steve just posted a link to Jay Fisher. He sure is a talented artist in his own right but you certainly did him proud on this knife. I look at a lot of other designer's work for inspiration. I have a big journal full of ideas and stick drawings. LOL I cant draw worth a toot.
Your knife is so breath taking Adrian,  first of all you made it entirely of stone and out of your own imagination and skill. Then again you have inherent talent of knowing what looks good together as true artist. I think rocks love you Adrian:)

Good information Philip.

Neural

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
Amazing work on the knife.  And the obsidian is just beautiful.

Silly question though.  How did you attach the pieces?  Just epoxy, or some sort of joining mechanism?

gregorgr8

• There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda
    • View Profile
    • Prize Winning Jewelry by  Gregor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
Very nice - very, very nice.
Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

adrian65

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
Jon, the pieces are glued with epoxy, indeed.

Thank you again,
Adrian

Rockoteer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
Wow Adrian.... just Wow.  About the nicest if not the nicest piece of work I have seen.

Rockoteer
-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Enchantra

• Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • View Profile
    • EnchantedRegalia
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
Adrian that is just outstanding!   yes16

I could picture a beautiful dagger with a Morrisonite handle made the same way. 

I studied a lot of archaeology while going for my MA.  Flint knapping always intrigued me and I have always had great respect for people who could knapp stone and carve and polish it to such shine and beauty. 

You have a real talent Adrian.

rockinmyworld

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Oh my this is simply lovely.  The handle is perfect for this and almost looks like it grew that way.  Outstanding workmanship and I look forward to seeing more of your hard work.

socalagatehound

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Incredible.  You should be very proud of it!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
Adrian...........I don't know how this thread slipped by me.....this is the 1st time I've seen it...................... hide35

That is some fonominal workmanship.  The shine on the obsidian is out of this world and the picture jasper (always close to my heart) is a perfect match for the handles.  All I can say is Phewwwwwww................
Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Ajo

• View Profile
    • Redskygems.com
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
That is one amazing knife. How long did it take you to make a the knife? It's a work of art. Nice positioning of the picture scene on the grip, sweet! Ajo.
Eric

RedSkygems.com

socalgeodehound

• Frank & Londa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
Fantastic! That is real craftsmanship.
frank

cre84u

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
Adrian, that is just abut the prettiest thing I have ever seen. WOW!

You guys and your knife handles and now this.
Will have to try my hand at the handles first. Maybe in the new year. Would sure like to learn.
They are all works of art.

JeffSL

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
Very nice!

Hand2MouthMining

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
We LOVE your knife, Adrian! Tutorial ... TUTORIAL!!!

ura12 ura12 ura12

BTW, Here's Wikipedia on Obsidian sharpness:

"Obsidian has been used experimentally for blades in surgery, as well-crafted obsidian blades have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, the cutting edge of the blade being only about 3 nanometers thick.[34] Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope; when examined even under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even. One study found that obsidian incisions produced narrower scars, fewer inflammatory cells, and less granulation tissue in a group of rats.[35] Don Crabtree produced obsidian blades for surgery and other purposes,[34] and has written articles on the subject."

We can easily vouch for that! We often find that our Davis Creek obsidian has bitten us only when the other partner points out the dripping blood ...  help26

Thankfully, the wounds are (generally) tiny, easy to clean, and heal very quickly. So, that provides an answer to the question "Do you miners ever get cut by your obsidian?"

"Uh ... Like, YEAH! DUH!!!"
 headbang18

Lovely blade, Adrian!

Regards,
             Kris & Al
             Hand-2-Mouth Mining