Author Topic: World Jade Symposium 2014  (Read 11324 times)

domdeslagons

• View Profile
Re: World Jade Symposium 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
Looks good slabs to me, can't wait to see the finish work!
The first set was already really nice!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
Good luck to all our forum members who are entering the symposium! 

asianfire

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
Hi there Redrummd, Michael Hoover,

Have not seen your name in the lineup for the symposium. Did Brian forget to put you on the list, like he did with a few others?

As of right now, there is quite a lineup, but the cream is still waiting on the sidelines. I got it on good authority that there could be a few surprise entries, from people who are on top of their game in the jade-sector as well as carving overall (any material).

At the moment, most designs are hush hush, so there is very little information as to whats coming, but the few designs that I have seen indicated thus far, will be "VERY" different from the regular traditional fare that one sees every day.

Just met up with one carver/sponsor and participant of the Symposium from Canada, here in Hong Kong yesterday, who is much closer to the industry and way more skilled than me, for a few hours, and must say, that the whole thing might turn out way more interesting overall than expected.

So for those of you on the sidelines here, get going and give it a try, while winning this event will be a very hard thing to achieve, the chance of being presented and shown alongside the "Masters" does not happen every day. And if you are able to make it to Vancouver for the actual Symposium (November 21-23) there will be a superb arrangement of new and old on show, plus renowned speakers from all over the world.

Just confirmed a few days ago:
Tom Duquette a master artist from BC, will be doing a carving demonstration at the November Exhibition. He says he is too old now to carve jade, but that he has made a full set of jade wood carving tools. At Robson Square we will see him in action, creating a "surprise" cedar sculpture using only his handcrafted jade tools : )
Tom is a legend, and we are in for a treat!

I so envy those of you who will be able to make it there. saved12
I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:48 PM »
Yes, I am in the show and yes, Brian needs to update his list!

I need to chat with Brian about getting the list fixed and see if he wants me to bring my Jade samples for a display too.   

My biggest concern is figuring out the required forms to bring Jade and Jade artworks into Canada to avoid issues in trying to bring them back into the USA.  Burma Jadeite importation is problematic as there is an existing embargo still in effect.  My Jadeite is pre-embargo but I don't want any issues coming back and the value of the Jade is also problematic in crossing the border even if originally taken across for display in a show.

asianfire

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
Yeah, was talking with Sam yesterday about the embargo.
So I presume you will be there in person? Great looking forward to see you guys on video.

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu

mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
I entered last night, I have some dough if I will finish in time as my small business is booming and carving won,t pay the bills, I will be carving Aussie nephrite, I asked if I could use some black jade from Western Australia but they won,t let me use this, its 50 % nephrite and feldspar, other nephrites world wide are not pure, and jadeite can contain many other minerals, the geo tests I have for this jade states its classed as nephrite.
Cheers mick B

kjsspot

• View Profile
    • KJO Fine Art on Etsy
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
MIck - are you the same Mick with the alien eye on OA?

mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:50 AM »
Kerry, no another Mick, here is a link to my web site.
http://mickandmarg.webs.com/

kjsspot

• View Profile
    • KJO Fine Art on Etsy
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:21 AM »
Ahhh  I recognize some of those.  I'm FB friends with your wife Margie.

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
So this thread has been pretty quiet and I thought I would add a picture.  One of the judging criteria is:

"Surfacing and detail. How well has the artist attended to the details. Are any additions joined seamlessly or in harmony with the jade? Judges will be strict against tool marks, unfinished elements and inconsistent polishing. NB. Choosing a good jade for your can make a big difference here."

So here is a up close photo of the seams on the knives.  Remember, I flatten the metal with just eye hand coordination and files and I also hand cut and fit the Jade on 6 inch NOVA wheels and a 200 grit sintered wheel.

The mirror polish on the Jade does show the 2 by 4 ceiling of the lower shop well I think.

I know that my idea about Jade carving is way outside the usual expectations so I am entering for my own enjoyment knowing full well that I probably will not exactly be a favorite to win anything.  Here is a quote from another knife artist that really made a point with how I think about what I do with stone....

"Perfection is humanly unobtainable.

There is always something of the maker in each piece, whether intentionally or not.

If a knife is made by a human, then it will be evident in the work... and the work will not be perfect.

It's like absolute zero,... a receding horizon.

You can always do better,... but you can never do your best... or obtain the absolute.

I call it art.

- Tai Goo -"

If you cut and work Jade do not think about what others may think about your work.  What is important is what you think and if you would get joy from entering something of this nature - do so for you, not for others.....

asianfire

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:48 AM »
Yeah, people are very reluctant to come forward with heir designs. Including your entry, I have seen only 5 come forward across any platform thus far.

I have finally started the final piece of my puzzle and are on my usual rescue mission to make the best out of yesterday's misplacing of eyes. :) waited nearly two months and then still chose the wrong place for the final eyes.  saved12 headbang18

Regardless, hope to be done with cutting by end of the week,  then it's on to polishing. Allowed a lot of small corners and deep cuts, so that will take a while yet. :)

domdeslagons

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
Micheal :Those knife are fabulous! The shine is so glass-like I wish I could obtain such a shine on my work!
But you are right things have to be done for ourself first and if the others like it too, it is perfect!
Kurt, I am sure you'll make a stunning piece, as usual! dancer27

wyrock

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:10 AM »
Awesome knives and insight Michael.

Took a step up and made a triple ring with Turkish purple and feather ridge jade. It could be better I am sure but after going back to 200 and starting all over again I am pretty happy with the results. I stopped at 3000 diamond pad because it was late but I may take it up a few notches and see what happens. I still do not have any fabuluster.
Jim

Probably should have put this in a different thread but I am sure the jade folks are here. Any suggestions or education is welcome of course.
Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.

itsandbits1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Just one suggestion Jim yes16 Keep up the good work; that looks good.
The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

kjsspot

• View Profile
    • KJO Fine Art on Etsy
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:44 AM »
I'm getting closer to being able to do some real work on my entries.  I finally got my cabbing machine up and running.  Now I'm just waiting on the carving wheels.  He's on vaca this week.  I also got a stationary drill press.  I'll be setting that up tonight and will be getting some diamond core bits as well.  I also finally got a plug for my drop saw so I shouild be able to get that up and running this week as well.  WHEW!  Getting equipment sure has been a process.

And I was sent a slab of Wisconsin Jade but it's green & red. Is that a true jade? I'll get a photo of it tonight.