Author Topic: The Complete Metalsmith  (Read 1679 times)

Taogem

• View Profile
The Complete Metalsmith
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
Mirkaba (Bob), posted about Tim McCreight's "The Complete Metalsmith" in another thread.

Good information and comments about McCreights book that was posted before this area to the forum was started.

Good a place as any to start us off !  :)

Bluesssman

Re: The Complete Metalsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »
Fantastic new addition. Hopefully both good and bad reviews will be allowed.

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
Fantastic new addition. Hopefully both good and bad reviews will be allowed.

Yes.... of course.. Both good and bad will be welcomed.

If bad, perhaps a review could be more of a constructive criticism that out right knock down. Anyone who has accomplished a publication, I think it is fair to say deserves a good degree of respect.

To see past what might be poorly written and hopefully see the publications for what they are.

Generally the love an appreciation of an art taken to the point that they are doing their best to share, teach, and demonstrate in book, CD and or DVD forms to the best of their abilities..

No matter what we gotta give the authors that IMHO...  :)

Bluesssman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
I agree, any author who puts in the amount of time needed for a book should be honored. What I find most in books I don't care for is they really do not get specific enough or even more so leave you wanting more!

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:09 PM »
or even more so leave you wanting more!

I hear ya there !!

mirkaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
It seems that in most of the jewelry books I have read There is an assumption that the reader has a basic grasp of the subject. This is not always the case. I love books and rely on them. But I still believe I have to actually work with someone that knows their stuff somewhere along the line. In the meantime I will continue to read and have the occaisional meltdown or minor wreck. Every small bit of confidence in my work that is gained is well earned and deserved. I have yet to have a jewelry making/metalsmithing/lapidary epithany. But it is coming and I am still looking for the best books.      Bob
Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.

Bluesssman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
When I taught photography (workshops primarily) I always said you learn more by your mistakes than you do by your successes. However, the more information you can gain to help you not make mistakes, the better. I think hands on experience is far more useful than reading a book, but gaining some information before hand can certainly make the hands on experience more enjoyable. I would like to find more classes in lapidary but they seem far and in between!