Author Topic: Hello.... need help with drilling holes in gemstones  (Read 953 times)

Misindy

Hello.... need help with drilling holes in gemstones
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
Hello to all.  I am new to the  lapidary world.  Anyone with experience  in drilling holes in gemstones.

I received a flat lap machine for Christmas and would like to create jewelry.  Don't know how to make pretties with the beautiful cabs and stones I have so far

Taogem

• View Profile
Re: Hello.... need help with drilling holes in gemstones
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Hi there Misindy..

Welcome to our forum  :D

We have a member here named Ralph. He lives near me and I bet would be willing to help out. We could probably let you send them to either one of us, and we could do a few for you.

Do you have a few other things besides the flat lap?

What kind of goodies in regards to stone do ya have to play with?

I am getting closer...... well, sorta.... to doing some bezel work. I think that will be a great starter for me to make some jewelry.

Nice to have you here Misindy.... Look forward to sharing with you as you get going.

What fun!!  :D

cindy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:58:24 AM »
Hello!   ;D

seth

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »
Drilling holes is pretty easy. I use a foredom tool and a diamond bit. Foredom tools give adjustable speeds needed. Get good quality bits keeep a stream of fresh water on the stone to stop the bit from burning. Also use a in and out motion to clear the whole of debris. I also use a gem drill.