Author Topic: Cab stands....  (Read 2045 times)

Redwilder

• View Profile
Cab stands....
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
So, in preperation for upcoming shows this year, Id like to know if anyone has a source to go thru for cab stands to be used in case competitions or a good way of creating your own. Last year, I did my first competition case in the advance class. This year i will be going into the masters class. The main area that i will need to improve on in order to get  the blue comes down to the stands themselves. As i understand it, in the masters class the judges want to see cabs that appear to "float" as they are supported by a no-see-um cab stand. Appreciate the help  headspin1
Just because one wanders does not mean that one is lost....Some bumper sticker I saw in Moab, Utah
                          Ben Odum
             (Add to facebook if ya want)

bobby1

• View Profile
Re: Cab stands....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »
For my photography I use these stands. They are home made from off the shelf parts that I get at our local plastics retailer - Tap Plastics, I think they may have an online catalog.
I use their precut round pieces both for the base and the top cab holder piece. I use their 1/8" round rod (it comes in 6' pieces) but it is cheap. I bend them at a 45 degree near the top so that the cab will be facing the viewer or camera. I stick the cab on with clear "Scotch" double-sided tape. The size of the base and top piece can be varied depending on the size of the cab.

This is how I used them for my competitive case in 2011 at the CFMS Show. My cabs were on the larger size (up to about 4" high),  so I didn't totally suspend them in the air but left the cabs sitting on the base. As you can see the stands didn't show from the front. The label is made from their triangular rod stock. I used a "Brother" label maker with tape that had a black lettering on a clear tape. The tape width matched the surface on the triangular stock.
This was the first time that I have ever displayed competitively and I won the blue ribbon in the masters category for cabochons. I got a score of 98 with the deductions coming from a small gap in the liner and the other from having two of a kind in the Jaspers side. I would suggest that you scrutinize the rules very closely and talk to a judge extensively before you enter. The judges are extremely knowledgable and helpful about the rules.
Bob

thewrightthings

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
What a great idea.  That would work for displaying jewelry, also, with slight modification.  Thanks for the info.

helens

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:35 PM »
Bobby, what a great idea! And CONGRATS!!! But everyone knows your cabs are superb!!!

I have a dumb question... how do you bend the lucite rod 45 degrees without them just breaking??

Redwilder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:19 AM »
Oh, i remember this thread now. I did end up buying some of the plastic bases and tubing but i think i went thru a different company.  What i got was small square acrylic base pieces and  hollow tubes. I got them too late to really do much with them....plus i couldnt figure out how to put the bend in the tubes like you did. Can you give a tip on how to do that?
Just because one wanders does not mean that one is lost....Some bumper sticker I saw in Moab, Utah
                          Ben Odum
             (Add to facebook if ya want)

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I bend them by holding them above a small flame on my alcohol burner. A candle or barbecue lighter would also work. Hold it above the flame until the rod softens slightly and bend it to the angle that you want. Be careful, the piece does get hot to touch, so dip your fingers in water before grasping the end.
Bob

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
Found a pretty good price on 1" X 1/8" plastic discs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160946985166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Buy clicking on his other products link, he has other sizes too. The 1" size was in packs of 100 pcs.

Also found acrylic rods in 1/8" - 3/16" and 1/4". 5 pcs. X 11-7/8" long for each size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251163792135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I ordered the 1" discs and a pack of each size of rod. Gonna be way more than I need, but I can't resist a bargain.  ura12 ura12 ura12

I have a heat gun with a very small nozzle for shrinking heat shrink tubing in tight places. On high setting it should be plenty hot enough to bend the rod without using an open flame.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

39don

• View Profile
    • Don's Lapidary Arts
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

I would imagine a good hairdryer would work too. I used a small propane torch to bend mine.

I have used Bobby's mounting method for my photo box a while back. I had some clear plastic 1/8" material so I used a 2" hole saw wirh a 3/16th inch bit and sawed out 5 pieces. I drilled and reamed a 1/4" hole in each disc and mounted all 5 on a threaded rod with washers & nuts. I turned the o.d. to smooth them up, pressed and glued the rods into the holes to complete each stand.