Author Topic: Any Suggestions?  (Read 1447 times)

gjones

• View Profile
    • Talking Rocks Lapidary & Jewelry
Any Suggestions?
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
This will be my first big show.  It is a juried craft show and I made the cut.  I am posting a photo of my center piece.  Could some of you seasoned vets of craft shows give me any advice?

Seth

Re: Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
I would keep my slabs away from the finsihed items. Some people get distracted by bunching mixed things together. It also keeps your booth customers in the proper place if you have a small set up. Some potential customers will walk past your booth if people are spread out and the can't see what you have. I could keep going but this is just my opinion since you seem to have mixed inventory from the picture I see.

thewrightthings

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
The rug you are using as a background blends beautifully.  Problem is, things don't Pop, but rather blend.  Think I'd use a black background, but that's just my opinion.

Bluesssman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
Contrast will show your products better as Paula has said. It makes it easier to have someone's eye be caught by your product. If you are using a tent, you might want to try and make it different from all of the others around you. I painted our name on all sides and put fun stuff on the top. We had so many comments about it being different and attracting people to it.

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Wish I could help you out, but my set up is limited to my gemstones adhered to thin pieces of cardboard and inserted into little zip lock baggies.

Then I separate them into different size baskets on the tables.

Your setup looks much better than my very basic stones in baskets !

Although......  I did pick up some nice lighting today for an event next weekend.

So that might be something I can recommend to you.. If you have power, maybe add a couple of those to brighten your displays up  :)

ScarlettoSara

• Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »
Grant as a proud owner of one of your designs I know you will do good.
I get many ooo's and ahhhss on the old mexican lace agate you made.
I am speaking as a vendee not as a vendor:)
I agree with Paula/SmilingHeart that your pieces need to displayed to pop. Go to Hancock Fabrics and see if you can find some shimmering grey fabric. I really love how that malachite looks against the black or maybe even get some black velvet. I do like to see slabs and finished pieces displayed together though.
And since your business name is Talking rocks I think you should play that up a little with a handout of your profile and why you create the designs you do:)
Maybe a line of rocks in back , then the slabs and finished pieces and then just the finished pieces in front like a horse shoe design with the open being in front.
Heck this is merely my opinion but I know you have the skills and I bet you will knock their socks off:)
Best of luck to you:)

stonesthatrock

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
well, everyone has said what i was gonna say......... make the items pop, not blend..    Good Luck and remember to have lots of fun.

mary ann

gregorgr8

• There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda
    • View Profile
    • Prize Winning Jewelry by  Gregor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
This will be my first big show.  It is a juried craft show and I made the cut.  I am posting a photo of my center piece.  Could some of you seasoned vets of craft shows give me any advice?

I am curious as to what you did to your display and how you did?  it would be cool to see a pic of the final display that you used.
Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

idrockman

• View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Man
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
Hey,

I would agree with Sara and place either a silver or black backgroud to make your finished pieces pop, and keep the slabs independent of the finished stones, as they would just look like the display but not items for sale.

Have fun, learn many things and enjoy yourself.

Brad

Stacy

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
If I can offer another thought?  Leave some space around your  pieces, particularly the special ones.  The neutral background and space gives the pieces a chance to really pop.  Too many pieces crowded together makes it hard to focus.  Busy tables look more like fleamarkets, not the impression you want to have.  You can always restock and change things around throughout the show.

Don't forget to bring your own beverages.

Stacy