Author Topic: my first rock show  (Read 2564 times)

rocknroll

• Jon
    • View Profile
    • rocknroll gems
my first rock show
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
   woohoo!  so i made it through my first rock show this weekend and it was a great experience. I was able to sell alot of cabs and slabs, and met alot of interesting (?!) wonderful people. Plenty of excited peeps digging through my rough all day. no price=free ...heh heh they loved that. Here's a few pics of my table and an abolone orca i bought and now wearing =) ...and me smirking    The guy in back of me is carving giant alabaster hearts.

gregorgr8

• There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda
    • View Profile
    • Prize Winning Jewelry by  Gregor
Re: my first rock show
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
Good  job !        yippie24
Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

mirkaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »
Looking Good Jon!!! You sure have lots of cabs. Are you still working on the roof?
Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.

Bluesssman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
Right on Jon!!! You certainly have been busy...

Gary

NuevoMundo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »
 yes16  yes16

You always learn a ton from your first couple shows.

Mark

• View Profile
    • Darkstar Jewelry Etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
Wow, you have a lot more cabs than i expected, looks like you could give Ralph a run for the money.  I am really slow i guess, and i don't spend much time down there cabbing, now that i also am trying jewelry.  I would have loved to see that display of yours up close.  Very cool, very cool.  With your great layout of design and quality workmanship, i bet you did sell a ton of cabs.  When i think about selling at a show, i am a bit nervous and i can't imagine watching people look at my stuff and making comments that i can't hear.  I can imagine them now, "what is he thinking, who would buy that Tiffany Stone cab for $3000, I'd rather pay off my kids braces", or "I could buy a 60" plasma TV for what he wants for that Pietersite cab", and "$8000 for that necklace, I could strangle my wife with it and get less from an insurance payout".  So see, i shouldn't sell to the public, heck they shouldn't let me out in public! 

Anyways, I am happy you did so good and its no surprise seeing the quality of your work.

Mark

Taogem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
Most excellent Jon !!!!

socalagatehound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
Looks like a killer display. I agree with Mark.  Wish I could have been there to see it up close.

ScarlettoSara

• Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
Woooohooo!!!!!
Dang you have been busy:) Lots of good looking stuff there.
Love the orca:)
You and the orca have the same look on your face:P

what stone sold the most? How come you didnt have any of your pendants for sale?
Did you use your charm on all the ladies to make them buy more:) LOL

hulagrub

• When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
Wow Jon! You have been a busy boy!
Dave, a certified Rockaholic

rocknroll

• Jon
    • View Profile
    • rocknroll gems
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
  i was priced aggressively, and didn't sell any "high end" $40 cabs, but did sell around 75 older, and what i considered flawed cabs at 5,10 and $20. also sold alot of quartz crystals and rough slabs.
     and threw a few killer slabs, and pietersite and chrysoprase nuggets marked 50 cents in my rough bin, as it was fun watching people find those "deals". at one point i had like 5 people trying to get at them. haha!
    i'm a talker, and greeted every person that approached my booth for 2 days, which probably played a role in winning this time =)
 Thanks for the compliments!
  Bob, the landlord stopped my roof cabbing a while ago so i'm inside now by my huge open window.
       Mark, you are cracking me up! I priced a few of my favorite cabs at $75 hoping they wouldn't sell too

legendarygranite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
Now thats my kind of weekend. I was born to do shows. No literally. I grew up on a farm in Michigan. I was knee high to a grass hopper when I started going to our local market. Fourty five min drive at three am almost every weekend. Selling flowers and produce to all the ladies

WOW thats alot of cabs. I couldn't imagine playing with all that material. I must say you sure do have it figured out. Oh my, Courtney is going to pretty jealous when she reads about your pietersite slab. Glad you had fun. Can't wait to run into you on shake down street.

vitzitziltecpatl

• View Profile
    • Hummingbird Stones
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
Hah! Way to go Jon! I like the way you price the good ones "aggressively" - or as I call it "correctly".

Also got a kick out of how you put what I call "scare 'em away" prices on the really good ones. We do that too with some opal that we know we couldn't replace for any reasonable amount of money.

Congratulations, and we're glad to hear you had fun!

drocknut

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
WTG, glad the show was a success for you.  Looks like you definitely had enough cabs to sell.

NuevoMundo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
Lol, vince... That is one thing I have noticed... most sellers (including myself) trot out those showpiecees that we never intend to sell, and price them accordingly.

dancer27  dancer27