Author Topic: Recommendation for a Camera  (Read 4145 times)

James D. Farrow

• View Profile
Recommendation for a Camera
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:33 AM »
O.K. need a recommendation for a new camera.

Something that is good for taking pictures of rocks, jewelry, etc..
I gather a good macro setting is preferable.

Nothing that cost an arm and a leg though.

Was looking at this one on Amazon Canada:

Canon PowerShot SX530 16.0 Digital Camera with 50x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch TFT LCD (Black)

Suggestions?

Thanks,

James
James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

"No more trains will be sold once the magazine leaves the station"

slabbercabber

• View Profile
Re: Recommendation for a Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:34 AM »
For shooting cabs or anything on a horizontal surface I find a flip up view screen absolutely essential.  Another thing to consider is what is the shortest distance the lens will focus at.  That will have an effect on how you set up your photo system.

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »
I don't use a macro lens. I have a small table setup with two 100 watt photoflood lights. I made a small plastic device that has a small flat surface tilting forward to hold the cab facing the lens. I hand hold the camera about 8" to 10" away and let the camera do the focusing, speed and aperture settings take the photo. Turn off the flash so you don't get a hot spot on the cab. I download the photos to Windows Live Photo Gallery and use the crop feature to bring it up close. I also print out a photo gradient to use a a background that doesn't compete with the cab image. I can post some photos of my setup if you want. I use a Canon EOS  Rebel XT.
Bob

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:59:05 AM »
Take a look at my photos.  I only hand hold the camera and do not use a light box.  BY FAR the best camera I have used is the Fujifilm Finepix S1.  It is a low cost camera with INCREDIBLE macro capability.   If you get one I can walk you though how to use the manual settings with their internal focus methods for getting WOW photos!

Here are a few as examples with just two incandescent bulbs for lighting - hand held and no photo box.

stonemon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
I also use a Rebel EOS XT digital.
Mostly try natural light, no flash but it works well inside also with the properer props and lighting.
You can pick them up for $150 US on ebay most any time...
Here is one my wife took...
Bill

tetonartgallery

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
I use an iPhone 5S   - i used to agonize over the process now it is a cinch and they are all on my computer pronto.
Thanks for looking - Gerard
Click here to see My Web Site

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
Here is a photo that I took recently with my standard setup. The plastic device I mentiuned in addition to tilting the cab toward the camera lens it lifts up from the background so it looks like it is floating in mid air.
Bob
 http://s151.photobucket.com/user/Rocksbob/media/New%20Photos/Brazilain%2056_zpsxz4aopnt.jpg.html

James D. Farrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
Thanks Everyone.

The one I listed above has:

Focusing Range
Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T)
Auto/Manual: 0.0 in. (0cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T)
Macro AF: 0.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (0-50cm) (W)

Good?

Sorry I am at a loss when it come to cameras. Not a tech person.
My old camera is a Kodak. LOL!

This is the one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014VFH0PC?colid=1KS25EZ63X9D&coliid=I17MK4R7RP2P63&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Everything in one package. Looks good to me.

James
James D. Farrow

legendarygranite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »
I'm buying Olympus t4

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »
James,

I have two big issues that could cause you issues with your Cannon.  I read a lot of what is available easily on line and did not find the information needed for my concerns.

1) The exposure compensation button +/-  I do not see how you change it.  On the Fujifilm there is a finger wheel that gives 8+ to 8- possibilities.  This is extremely important to get correct exposure and color.

2) There is no mention of the widest aperture or lowest ISO speeds.  The Fujifilm camera goes to ISO 100 and 2.8 aperture.   The lower the ISO speed you can shoot at the deeper the focal range which is really important to get crisp handheld photographs.

Be sure that the camera menu is easy to navigate for "white balance".  The Fujifilm gives 7 choices from incandescent to, cloudy day, sunlight, to florescent tubes.

Click on the knife photos to get an idea as to the depth of field in focus in macro mode!

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
James - Update.  I found the Cannon website Q/A section and the camera you are looking at does go to the same ISO  (100) and aperture (2.8).

The +/- exposure compensation wheel is also in a good location - better than the Fujifilms in fact.  It is right behind the shutter button!

So, I can find noting wrong with your choice.  Be sure to put on the lens cover.  A very sight tap on a rock you are taking a photo of WILL scratch the lens and you can't replace it!  I ruined  my last camera's lens by not buying and using a lens cover.....  bricks21

I suggest getting brave and NOT using the automatic mode on the camera.  In macro try to always use the 2.8 aperture and ISO at 100.  If the shutter speed drops below about 1/60th second I would bump the ISO up to 200.

Learn how to select the correct white balance for the photograph.

Last, really use the +/- exposure compensation.  This will make a HUGE difference in how accurate the colors show on the photos and in getting the best looking exposure.  I occasionally take up to 3 photos to "bracket" the exposure.  I NEVER have to use any color adjustments on my photos and rarely have to adjust the "brightness".

Last thought - Have you held this camera and seen how close it allows you to get in macro mode?  I specifically bought the Fujifilm for it's superior macro mode as I directly compared it to every same priced camera in the store including the Canon.  I need to note that I do not know which model Canon I compared it to.

finegemdesigns

• View Profile
    • finegemdesigns
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 10:59:26 PM »
Canon PowerShot G3 4.0 MP. I bought a replacement for mine on eBay (used) for about $75.

Simple easy to use and takes good photos of gems and jewelry. I use a tripod and SoLux lighting with mine.

James D. Farrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
Well I am tired of looking at reviews.

The more you read the more confusing it gets. LOL!

Think I will go with the Canon SX530 HS.  Get the camera
and an accessory kit (package deal) for $388.00 Can ($275.00 US).

Just have to get a separate USB cable to download pics to my PC
as it doesn't come with one.

Thanks again everyone.

James
James D. Farrow

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »
James,

Hold off on the USB cable.  The camera comes with a tiny data card that will plug into a port on your computer.  The link you posted notes:  " Includes 32GB Memory Card".

Honest, it is not as confusing as it seems reading "everything" posted.  Just take it one bit at a time.

Tiny steps:

1) Start at Program mode "P" not automatic "A" only for your macro photos.   Open tiny manual you get to figure out the menu.
2) Try tiny step in selecting "white balance menu".
3) Try next tiny step in selecting 100 ISO speed.
4) Select a size for photographs about 1/2 the maximum size as you do not need to print 18" by 24" photos.  I use "M", medium, with a ratio setting of 4:3 which means if you were printing a very small photo it would be 4 inches wide by 3 inches tall; or 8 inches by 6 inches; or 16 inches by 12 inches.  This seems to work for getting the knife photos with correct proportions and if you click on one of my sample photos I think you will agree that "M" for medium is plenty big!
5) Take photos and look at them.  They will probably need editing - cropping for sure and probably "brightness".
6) Turn on the +/- function and try using the adjustment wheel directly behind the shutter button.
7) Look at the new photos and you will probably only need to edit by "cropping" and the depth of field and colors will look remarkably better too.

It is not nearly as complicated as it seems.  I wrote notes inside the photo manual so I would not forget what worked and how I got there.  After using the camera about a dozen times in macro mode I just pick it up set it to "P" (program mode) make the needed adjustments and shoot gorgeous  macro mode photographs. 

When I use the camera outside for family type photos I just put it into "A" mode (automatic) as the camera does make good decisions for correct exposure of faces and color balance.  The telephoto capabilities are astonishing in outdoor "A" mode. 

I only use the "P" mode and manual settings in the shop for taking macro mode photographs.

James D. Farrow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
The SD card plugs into the USB port on my PC?

I just checked my PC and there are some odd ports also on the front.
SM , xD , CF/MD , SD/Mini MMC/RS , MS/Pro Duo

James
James D. Farrow