Author Topic: 2012 American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. January 1st, 2013))  (Read 10641 times)

helens

Re: American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. May 29 ,2011)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 12:47:36 AM »
Wow! Thank you so very much, for compiling this, and the authors for writing/contributing to them! I hope it starts a new love and appreciation of US rocks from both potential customers and new enthuiasiasts!! It's sure getting me hooked, and I didn't even like agates before seeing these...

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
Wow... what does one say!? That's soooo awesome!  yes16
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

HH5

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

Thanks for making this great resource available.
This is amazing work.

Harold

elementary

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words and great support.  It shows that this project is valued and gives me energy to revise and expand it.   And please - if you see something missing that you can photograph and share, do so and let me know.  This project is definitely a case of the more, the merrier!

Lowell

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
Lowell, have you considered adding maps to the page layouts or anything? I love what you've done - it's invaluable and to be commended - especially considering your gift of the time and effort it took. I am personally very very grateful for this!

But you know how it is - give us an inch...  chuckle02  And to see something this cool always inspires the mind to dream it stepped up a notch (I suppose that's a good thing or we'd all be happy just sitting watching tv all day and night - blah).

Anyway, maps would be on my wish list of something that would take it up a notch for me. I love those little books you used to be able to buy (maybe still can, I don't know) like a guide to spiders I have - each section shows a tiny map (it's a very simple line drawn map with a few major landmarks named, or the island's name - just something to give perspective) with areas grayed in where the specific spider(s) in question is native.

You can bet if I find anything relevant in my collection or something I've bought who's providence I'm sure of I will photograph it and gladly donate it to you with all rights transferred to the project.

Best to you!
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Lowell,
I think I read somewhere that you are working on a Thunderegg volume.
I have this very interesting one with double chambers but they are quite different from each other even though they are definitely connected. I don't recall where it is  from but it is a common location. Maybe the Thunderegg wizards can come up with a location.
Bob

elementary

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
Bobby,

Thanks for the Dugway! 

Frank,

Thanks for the comments.
Maps get into a sticky situation. 

1)  I don't have permission from anybody to use their maps or modify them.  Filling those out would take a huge amount of research beyond my current task.  Presently, it's relatively easy (though time consuming) to pull images from various websites, but I would need to rely on locals to shade the locations of maps I currently don't have.
2)  The guide is more of a identification guide than a field guide.  The initial goal of this project was to create a visual guide for IDing material - not provide a roadmap/hunting guide for collectors.  Would that be wonderful?  Heck, yes, but it is way beyond my means.     You might want to try Cy Johnson's Gem Atlas's.  They actually provide a wealth of general hunting locations - but no real directions.
3) My goal for the next incarnation is to add photos of the dig sites/landmarks. 
(Oh - next update is 2 years from now - how's that for a time-line ---I have a history of my club to work on next --3,000 pages of documents including 90% of our monthly newsletters dating back to 1959, our original handwritten meeting notes from the initial meeting in 1944 to the 1950's, huge amounts of letters, documents, and two boxes of slides to convert to digital that show fieldtrips from the 1940's through the 1960's.  One of our members was extremely active field-tripper for several decades and took piles of incredible photos.  I am adding advertising images from lapidary magazines from those times as well as quoting prices from the personal ads from the back of the magazines.  I envision this history of our club to act also as a limited snapshot of the history of rockhunting in So Cal - with the mentioning of location closures, government activity, innovations, and the formation of the CFMS and AFMS.  whew--- Just a little project....)
4)  AND - if my plate isn't big enough - I am in the middle of putting together a Field Guide to the Hauser Geode Beds.  I haven't had a chance to work on it beyond a general outline.  Ideally, I'd love to do small field guides to So Cal locations that I know - color photos of both material and location landmarks.  Alas, there's only so much time.

Thanks as always,

Lowell

bobby1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
AH HAH!.......Dugway!!!!!
Thanks for the ID
It looks like your are going to be in research mode for quite a while!
Have fun!
Bob

elementary

Re: 2012 American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. February 21, 2012)
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
Currently the file sharing system I use requires people to create an account to download the file.  This is not my intention for these files.  I want them to be accessed freely without requirements.  I am researching what is going on to see if I have a setting off (but the other files are still without this requirement).  I will update when I figure out what is going on.

bricks21

Lowell

elementary

Re: 2012 American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. March 24, 2012)
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »
The previously mentioned problem with the 2012 Agate/Jasper Index File for the Southwest has been removed.

Please download if interested and let me know if any other problems arise with the system.

Thanks for your patience,

Lowell

spirit bear beads

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »
The site still says...

You should Sign Up or Login to download this file

but doesn't give you the option to download the file if you don't.

39don

• View Profile
    • Don's Lapidary Arts
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:15 AM »
The site still says...

You should Sign Up or Login to download this file

but doesn't give you the option to download the file if you don't.

Same here..........

Don

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »
Ditto
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

elementary

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
KAAAAAA---------RAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Okay.  Frustration reset in. 

I sent the 4shared website another email.

I do not know why the site has changed.  For two years I have been using it without limitations or hindrances.

I do know they have recently revamped their site.  I am wondering if they have changed some criteria in the meantime.

I will also go through my profile again on the site and see if somehow I tagged an option that I shouldn't have.

I appreciate your patience with this matter. 

This is the pain of trying to keep this project cost free.....which is the only way I will do this project.  Free use and free distribution.
I may have to change my file sharing site if I can't rectify this.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Grrr.

Lowell

3rdRockFromTheFun

• Arfzzz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
Hang in there Lowell, you're doing a fantastic job - one worth waiting for! yes16
-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader