Author Topic: Diamond Resin Wheels - Comparison - Evaluation and Lowest cost Sources  (Read 8505 times)

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
I have done a fairly extensive evaluation of the three suppliers for Diamond Resin wheels and I have given you the lowest cost places to buy them.  

NOVA wheels - http://stores.ebay.com/ronsrocks

NOVA wheels $89.00 and he will give a discount when buying four or more.

Eastwind Wheels - http://diamond-grinding-wheel.com/#softwheel2

$69.00 each.

Diamond Soft Wheels - http://www.covington-engineering.com/grinding_wheels.htm

$55.00 each.

Diamond Soft Wheels - http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetname=203305&page=GRID&free_text%7c1281145787356=resin+wheelhttp://www.inlandlapidary.com/results.asp?search=dressing&I1.x=26&I1.y=13

Taogem

• View Profile
Re: Diamond Resin Wheels - Comparison - Evaluation and Lowest cost Sources
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
This is a nice bunch of info !

Thanks for taking the time to gather it up and post it ..

Are "diamond soft" wheels actually somewhat soft/cushioned ? Is there a bit of give as you cab against them ?

I have never used any of these resin wheels. I have used sintered and bonded diamond ones, and like them a lot for shaping.

When I look at the pics of these diamond soft wheels, they look like they have a pretty hard/stiff surface.

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
Good question - Both the Eastwind and the Diamond Soft are stiffer than the NOVA wheels.  With that noted, they all cut similar to the expanding drums with diamond belts.  You just need to adjust the pressure used a bit to account for the differences. 

I got rid of all of my 8 inch expanding drums and switched over to 7 3/4 inch NOVA wheels as the NOVA wheels outlast the diamond sanding belts by at least 4 to 1.

In the end analysis of diamond belts or resin wheels - NOVA's are the longest lasting by far.  They just come up short in how fast they cut and the need to reverse or dress them as the wear.

deb193

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
that reversing every 30 minutes sounds like a real pain. still, good to know.

Mark

• View Profile
    • Darkstar Jewelry Etsy shop
So the last few sessions in the shop, i have been having problems with scratches.  Not normal for me to have scratches that i can't get out.  I think i narrowed it down to some of my wheels are dying or even dead.  So i found a guy on ebay (Ron Rocks like Michael mentioned)  that had really good prices compared to DP and Kingsley North.  I got 4 new Nova wheels, a new 80 HEX Galaxy wheel, and another 3rd right hand spindle for my Genie.  I can now load up 12 wheels on my Genie and it takes me maybe 15 seconds to switch out the right hand spindle for another with different wheels.  I think when the last 2 wheels come in, i will have Galaxy 80 HEX new, Galaxy 80 HEX worn, 80 sintered, Galaxy 220, Nova 140, Nova 280, Nova 600, Nova 1200, Nova 3000, Nova 8000, and Nova 14000.  At this point i may eventually get a Nova 25000 or just put some other specialized wheel in the last spot.  I found that only having the left and right hand spindles that came with the Genie, to be a limiting factor.  Using the multiple spindle system, i can keep my left hand spindle for only coarse and aggressive grinding.  I have 3 80 grit wheels for different purposes on my left spindle.  The new one is for regular stones, the worn one if for really hard and nasty stones that eat diamonds off of wheels and that i don't want ruining my new wheel.  The 80 sintered is a lot smoother wheel and a nice transition to the 220 Galaxy.  Two of the worn out wheels were from Kingsley North.  They weren't bad, but just didn't last as long as DP Nova wheels do.  They also must measure their grit differently than DP.  I would say the KN ones were a lower grit than what they were advertised to be.  When i would go from my 280 Nova to the 600 KN, it seemed to be more aggressive than the 280 and therefore seemed to mess up the order of wheels i transitioned through when cabbing.  I often just skipped the 600 and 8000 KN wheels rather than take a chance of getting new scratches.  I also found the quality of the DP Nova wheels to be much higher than others i have used.  My Nova wheels are perfectly round and very well balanced, this is actually quite important when grinding/polishing.  The KN wheels were out of round and when the Genie was running, they would cause a lot of vibration and noise.  The vibration was so bad, that my geyers would dance all over the tray and were hardly ever spraying the wheel i was trying to use.  I finally too a sheet of like 1/8" plywood and cut it to just fit in the Genie tray.  I then cut squares out of it where the geyers should be to spray the wheels.  I always use both geysers on a wheel so i cut a double wide rectangle to hold both geyers below where the wheels were so they would stay in place and spray the wheel i was working on.  A piece of plastic would have been better but i was lazy and could live with the moldy wood.  Now with my new Nova wheels, there is no vibration and i don't need the plywood geyser holder anymore.  So i will stay with DP Nova and Galaxy wheels.  I have found them to last the longest by far and to be the truest wheels.  If you use the other wheels, just don't mix brands, the grits don't exactly match up and you may get really bad vibes like i did.

I also can't wait to get the 140 Nova in.  Michael convinced me that was a smart move.  I had considered the low grit Novas before and thought they could be useful, but his research convinced me.  So hurry up and get here.  I am sure that my hard to remove scratches problem is now over with my new wheels.  And i now have more spares for those situations where you don't want to use a good wheel and where you would like a wheel that you can abuse and not worry about it.  You sure don't want to fry a wheel on one really hard stone.  I have now found the hardest stone i have ever cabbed, to be a piece of Larimar.  I could hardly touch it with my grinding wheels or Novas.  I had to really push hard to get it to grind or polish.  Not a good thing for your wheels.  Previously my hardest stone was a sweet looking piece of Stinking Water Plume Agate that killed a new trim saw blade all by itself while trimming out just 2 preforms.  It was a devil to grind and polish too.  I'm not sure why certain stones just seem to be so much harder than normal.  Is it possible for a stone that should be like a 7 to be more like an 8 or 9?

Mark

gregorgr8

• There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda
    • View Profile
    • Prize Winning Jewelry by  Gregor
Michael -  why do your pictures look like belts instead of wheels?  They have that join  ?  ?  ? 
Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

• Art In Stone
    • View Profile
    • Art In Stone
The manufacturing process involves attaching a fabric belt over the foam cores of the wheels.  Even the NOVA wheels have this construction process.

johnjsgems

• View Profile
The Nova has a seamless belt over foam.  The seamless belt is the most expensive component of the wheel, or so they have told me. 

Rockoteer

• View Profile

Mark, 12 wheels? did I count correctly?  Show us some pics of your setup....pls..

TOG
-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Mark

• View Profile
I don't have all 12 hooked up at one time.  I have 2 spare right hand spindles, or i will when the new one comes in.  Currently i have the left hand spindle which doesn't change (takes a lot longer to remove) and 2 right hand spindles.  I have left spindle Galaxy 80 HEX worn, 80 Sintered, Galaxy 220.  My right hand spindles are first spindle Nova 280, 600, 1200 and 2nd spindle Nova 3000, 8000, 14000.  I am getting a new Nova 140 and will use 2 of my older worn wheels to fill out the spindles until i get a new Nova 25000.  The right hand spindle of a Genie can be spun off and replaced with another in like 15 seconds so its a really great system in that regards.  I always though that i wanted 2 Genies so i could have lots of wheels for various things, new wheels for regular stones, old worn wheels for finer polishing or saving new wheels from excessive where with nasty hard stones.  Once i realized they sold extra spindles, i figured that it was like having a second Genie for about $120 for the 2 extra spindles.  Of course if i had 2 Genies, a second person could use the other while i am working, but i don't currently have that need, so the extra spindles are great.  I have lots of worn wheels and change them with currently used wheels when and if the old ones look better than the ones i am using.  Nova wheels will work for a long time and some of my older ones have maybe 30% surface still relatively fresh from when i ground mostly in the center of the wheel and left good bands on either side of center.  I'll take some pics next time down with a camera.

Mark

johnjsgems

• View Profile
I went the other way with my Genie.  I bought an extra shaft to have less wheels but more space between wheels.  Mine sits a lot and one thing I learned is store shaft/wheels on end.  I left it once on the wheels and ended up with flat spots.

Mark

• View Profile
I hadn't thought of storing the wheels on end, but it makes sense.  I do store my spare spindles on end and maybe i will take my right hand one off when not in use and store it the same way.  Thanks John.

Mark

johnjsgems

• View Profile
On the machine would be no problem as wheels are suspended.  Nova boxes say to store flat but every case of wheels I pick up their employees pack on end.  It would be interesting to see how they stack them in their warehouse.  I display them on end at shows and then make sure I pack up with them flat. 

wayne

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:07 AM »
Just like to say thank you, Michael for the above information. Have purchased a 12 inch saw blade and a set of Nova wheels from Ron with no problems. Have arrived with no problems at about half the price of buying locally.
Wayne.

light house jack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
As to dressing sticks, I buy aluminum oxide grinding wheels from Harbor Freight and they are much cheaper than any dressing sticks that I have found.  I use them on all of my saws.