Author Topic: Rhodochrosite  (Read 4121 times)

Jhon P

• View Profile
Rhodochrosite
« on: March 16, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
I made a setting for the Rhodochrosite cab that I had posted cabochon thread

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodochrosite
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »
How did you do it?  For all the 'holes' around the edge...did you cut a piece of flat sheet with all the gaps and then use small rings of round wire? 
'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Always interested in trading slabs or rough

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
Close
A big enough back plate, solder on the bezel, than I bent wire into figure eights. The hard part is keeping the wires in place while you solder, I use plenty of flux than crystallize with the torch. Than I flux each piece of wire and stick then on while the piece is still hot. Than Crystallize the flux again and position the wire with a solder pick and get them to stick with the flux than solder. Now the work starts. Saw off the out side of the back plate and file to the wire loops.  Drill holes in each loop than I use a carbide dental bur that will grind the sliver and remove the center than to a round needle file and clean it up to the wire loops. Than to sanding and polishing and make a jump ring for the bail and solder then end closed. Whew that sound like a lot of work. Are up for giving it a try?
Good luck. Let me know how you do.

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »
On more thing. I used scrap square wire from wiring wrapping. You can use round wire it works fine and I should of used a bigger diameter wire for where the bail went. It could of been a little thicker for support

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
>Are up for giving it a try?<

Hmm I was really hoping you'd have some easy way of doing it, but it sounds like a lot of what I thought of when looking at it. 

Although it would not look quite the same (would not have quite the 'webbing' effect) I'd think you could make a bunch of small rings with round wire and attach them all with solder to the main piece. The main piece would be precut on the outside flush with the bezel of the stone.  Then make the thing stronger and recreate a bit of the webbing effect with a small silver ball soldered in between each of the rings. 
'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
Give it a try. I couldn't get all the little pieces to stay in place and in contact with the bezel,  than tried to solder on the ones that didn't stick and the solder would melt and other pieces would come loose. I tried to think of a way to wire them on but no luck there. I have done 10 or more pendants like this and would do more if it didn't take so much time. I only do the premium stones. If I could justify it I could invest in a jewelry arc welder, I bet that would be the easy way?
Let me know if you figure out an easy way to do it.

GregHiller

• North of Boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
Not sure if it would help with exactly the problems you have, but I generally use a small amount of paste solder (comes in a syringe) to hold small pieces in place.  The paste solder on its own is not sufficient, but I also use it to stick little pieces of chip solder exactly where I want them.  the paste solder is great when you are arranging many small pieces on a surface and get tired of them all 'jumping' away. 

Jhon P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
Thx I will give it a try.  Next time I place an order I will get some

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »
Hi All
J I love your piece yes16

Seems the topic went to soldering. I have a crazy way of soldering you all might think about. OK the flux is the crazy thing that makes things move around. Flu is the cleaner that is to move dirt oxidation ect out of the solder joints to make a good solder joint.

I don't use flux any more. The solder and parts I soak in connoisseurs brand silver cleaner for about 15 min then rinse with water and let dry. After dry I soak them in 91% Isopropyl alcohol and sterilize my shears and tweasers. Put together while wet and let dry then solder. Let cool then put back in the silver cleaner. You all wont believe the lack of clean up.I use oxy and propane so I cant say this would work for everyone. Try it on some scrap and see what you all think. hide35

Again I love your piece and just trying to help.

Bless
Shawn

Hummingbirdstones

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
Please read the following page before you continue with this practice.  You could very well be subjecting yourself to some health risks:

http://hermansilver.com/tarn-x.htm

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:08:51 AM »
Thanks HBS

I wont be doing that again. I never knew. Guess it is one of those to good to be good for you.

Thanks again
Bless
Shawn

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
Hey All

This has been bugging me all day. I did not know that the way I was soldering is toxic. I have only done it 7 times. The first time was by accident. The kids had knocked the flux jar over and I had limited time. It was a setting from Tripps that I had to size. Put it in the dip then the alcohol dried and soldered. It work very well. To the point I did it 6 more times with no problems.

Now I have to say do this at your one risk I wont do it again without a resiprator and rubber gloves. Thanks for the link  ura12

I have looked at the silver mate and hope that it will work as good. I will post my findings in the soldering section.

Bless
Shawn