Author Topic: DiY Foundry Update  (Read 2805 times)

samaeljaxon

• View Profile
DiY Foundry Update
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »
Soooo I know It's been a while, but here's my updated gear I put together. I made a gas extractor for degassing investment plaster. I used a plastic bowl, a neoprene rubber gasket, a 1/8" thick galvanized steel plate, an old bathroom cabinet for a base, a vacuum pump, and regular brass fittings for the pump to connect to.

I also made a vulcanizer using hardwood, red silicone as an insulator, steel plates, light dimmers as dials and stove top heating elements as the heating coils. I put springs in between the bolts and the plates holding the elements to account for thermal expansion of the metals.

Also, I made a wax injector out of an old aluminum container, a self-heating cooker, a steel plate, some threaded rods, and NPT brass fittings. I custom made the nozzle out of a 1/4" NPT brass coupler that connects to the ball valve on one end and is soldered to a plasma cutting tip on the other side, that is drilled to the standard hole size of a sprew former.

I'm rebuilding a kiln right now and finishing up welding together my vacuum caster. I'll post updates soon. Feel free to ask me any questions. Everything works and is totally cost effective. Don't spend thousands on gear, when you can make it yourself.

samaeljaxon

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:54 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a veneer screw I used on the vulcanizer. It's just bolted down on another plate centered on the top plate. I used 12ga wire and grounded the dials to the box. Be sure to be safe when building anything like this. There are potential electrical, fire and pressure explosion hazards involved in making these things. Always wear safety goggles when drilling into metal.

Oh and don't use a glass bowl. You need something with the consistency of plexiglass.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

wyrock

• View Profile
Re: DiY Foundry Update
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »
DIY rules and it looks like you are one of the rulers. It would be great if you would move next door so we could cobblerate/collaborate.

Thanks for taking the time to show your work.
Jim
Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.

Back

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »
Wow

Very professional looking yes16 and tons of info ura12

I have been dreaming for years to have a shop with that kind of tools.

I saved this thread so I can find it easily.

Thanks for posting. I love it.
Bless
Shawn

T P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
do you have a pressure regulator on your wax injector?  What pressure are you planning to use to inject the wax?