Author Topic: Utah Yellow Cat petrified wood or ????  (Read 3323 times)

55fossil

• View Profile
Utah Yellow Cat petrified wood or ????
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »
     I will post pictures tomorrow if I get some sunshine. So, does anyone know how to identify Yellow Cat Wood.  I have a mixed pile of petrified wood with similar characteristics: yellow, red, some green and black. Many pieces are easy to identify as Arizona Wood. But, there are many pieces that could be from Henry's Mountain Utah or AZ that look similar to Yellow Cat. As there is a huge price difference I am trying to be certain. One thing I noticed are reds spots floating in agate over a mostly red agate stone.

I looked at dozens of pictures on the internet that were identified as Yellow Cat or looked similar. I also talked to several experts and none of them said much more than they knew their wood was Yellow Cat but most for sale on internet was not Yellow Cat.

Any help would be appreciated.   Pictures you know are definitely Yellow Cat a plus.

peruano

• Central New Mexico
    • View Profile
Re: Utah Yellow Cat petrified wood or ????
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »
Hey, your profile doesn't say where you are but, it ain't New Jersey and just about everywhere West of NM has some sun some part of the day.  So show us the photos.  Curious minds want to know.  I've got some unknown material that I wanted to call Yellow Cat but need more info.  Tom 
Tom
Zoologist turned to Rocks

stonemon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »
Sun??? The wet side knows no sun! Till Sunday!  dunno28
Bill in Oregon.

55fossil

• View Profile
pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »
    Okay, had some sun and took some pictures. Added some pieces that were similar to what I think is Yellow Cat. Any ideas on any of the pictures are welcome.  thanks

Talusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:44:06 PM »
The super pricey yellow cat "red wood" is red fortification agate.

Your pieces are beautiful - are you sure they're all pet wood? Some look like mossy jasp-agate. That last one could pass for stone canyon or some other California breccia.

Very nice!

Talusman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
Here are a few chunks of yellow cat chalcedony if it helps. These aren't the redwood - just some red translucent stuff that's also found there (not nearly as pricey)

-Jeremy

55fossil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
Thanks much for the info. I guess I will sell the cheaper stuff. I do have some of the fortification pieces and ... I was told it was called Dripping Rock Agate. On package deals I rarely get picky. I keep what I like and sell the rest. Sometimes it is cheap no name stuff I like the best due to patterns. Which is why I will be selling a couple tons of rough on e-bay soon. Some premium stuff, some mixed lots.   thanks again