Author Topic: Used Equipment Prices.  (Read 4845 times)

lithicbeads

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Used Equipment Prices.
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
  When a design is copied with out permission and transfer of engineering specs there is an inherent problem that the criteria for the design are not understood  and problems always arise. You have a very thoughtful friend. A lot of the folks on the forum would benefit from a relationship with a neighborhood machinist. Using a local , usually semi- retired machinist can be very rewarding as well as pleasantly  eye opening as to the cost of certain parts and repairs.

urbtaf

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »

catmandewe

• View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
A brand new saw for fixing breakfast is a pretty good deal I would say.
Nice score!

Tony

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
Hey Tony, glad to hear the Madman hooked up with you, and bought one of your saws. The guy was driving me crazy trying to find him a saw. Wait until you see Mt. Madman in his back yard. He's collected some interesting material on his travels.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

catmandewe

• View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
Yeah he told me if I would deliver it he would send me home with rocks, so guess I am going to Montana sometime in the near future.

I can hear the rocks calling me now...........................Tony

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
He'll do right by you Tony. You should see some of the beautiful material he's left with me when he's hauling wind machine blades from here.

I let him dig through my rock pile, and always feel bad when he leaves. For every 10 lbs of rocks he leaves here, he takes at best 2 lbs of my material.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

riverbendlapidary

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
Bottom line is the older stuff was built much better than today.  You might have to change a bearing here and there, tweak this or that etc but basically the old stuff is about bullet proof and that's why people want it.

slabbercabber

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »
  Spent the last four days at Quartzsite buying rough and asking prices of every piece of used equipment I saw.  Virtually every price was at least as high as you would expect to pay for a totally rebuilt unit on Ebay.  I should mention that Quartzite is where everyone takes their really tired equipment to get rid of it instead of fixing it.  Can you say ugly?  I did finally find a ten inch Poly arbor with original cast iron covers for $100 at the Pow Wow.  It was the only reasonable price I found.  Next year I would bet it will all be half or maybe just later in the season.
   Quartzsite has really changed in the last few years.  Downtown is virtually dead and what used to be flea markets have morphed into very overpriced antique malls.  As an antique gun collector I always look at the old ones.  Everything I saw was about double the book price and most are very poor condition.  Rocks have gone up much faster than inflation, but I expected that.  Still there are deals to be had.  Always check with Anna to see what special pyranna she has unpacked today.  Lord I love pyranna.  Altogether I spent $1000 more or less on about 40 pounds of rough.  Maybe the best I've ever found.  If you go, be sure to check out J2B2 at the West end of town.  Sorry, I'm awful with names.  I've bid against these people at auction, but they really know what they are doing.  Still , really good people and fair pricing.  Still searching for Pilbarra jasper.
  We are now in Tuscon.  The search continues.

lithicbeads

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Congratulations! I was able to select through hundreds of pounds of world class new botswana this fall and know exactly that wonderful sensation of getting something so special.

riverbendlapidary

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
if you want pilbarra, check with glenn archer glenn@outbackmining.com   he usually sells at tucson

slabbercabber

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »
if you want pilbarra, check with glenn archer glenn@outbackmining.com   he usually sells at tucson

Yes, I checked with both of the Australians.  They told me it would probably never be seen again.  I also found an Australian dealer here in Tucson who told me the same thing.  He did have pilbarra but only in red and brown.  I am looking for the black with red and yellow streaks.