Author Topic: "I don't get it" Remarks from others about cabochons...  (Read 3151 times)

Nirena

• View Profile
"I don't get it" Remarks from others about cabochons...
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
   I just picked up my first real machine for cabbing and began making jewelry this week.  A friend of mine just the other day exclaimed, "I don't get it." I believe he was referring to this hobby as a whole. Has anyone else encountered this from anyone else? Friends and family not getting the fascination with rocks and turning them into gems and then into jewelry? I acquired my interest thru university and many courses taken in the subject of geology. Yet, some people still just say to me, "I don't get it." It's rather frustrating. I think I'm just venting now. Anyone else have people just not understand this undertaking? Maybe my friends are just jerks, who knows.

Sincerely,
Nirena

bobby1

• View Profile
Re: "I don't get it" Remarks from others about cabochons...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
In many decades of jewelry and lapidary work I have never experienced any of these reactions.
Bob

deb193

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
I've had people be puzzled at my enthusiasm for rough, and slabs, and shows ...but everybody seems to understand the value of making something - especially if you smith as well.
- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Nirena

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »
   It's good I have this forum without everyone's enthusiasm from here I might get discouraged.

legendarygranite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
No, but we all know and can tell like minded ppl.

wyrock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Offer them a free one and I will bet they will jump all over it. Then tell them that since they don't get it "they don't get it"
Jim
Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.

Charles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:27:13 AM »
Just remember the only one who has to get it is you!

asianfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
Dont get it? All the time over here.......  saved12

People simply don't have a value for handmade things anymore and the turn around and start complaining about the low average quality they have to endure.  lol15

Don't get discouraged by something like that, as said above, in the end only your own interest in the subject matters, and if there is no-one close to home (in my own case; my wife refuses to wear anything that I have ever made :) :) ), there is always support found through groups like ours here.

Just think of those poor fellas; they dont get your interest, yet turn around and continue to play their video-games and or sit in front of a TV for hours on end...........
I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

Nirena

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »
  Thanks peoples. I needed the pep talk:)

Ranger_Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:03 AM »
I've had several say the same thing. I just tell them that they don't have to get it, or that I don't "get" how you cannot "get" it.  It's kind of like when people ask why I am building a trebuche. Does there have to be a why?

RockIt2Me

• "Rock It 2 Me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
I've had several say the same thing. I just tell them that they don't have to get it, or that I don't "get" how you cannot "get" it.  It's kind of like when people ask why I am building a trebuche. Does there have to be a why?

Learned a new word....and I want to see it!
Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

jakesrocks

• New Toy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
I live in farm country. Nobody around here gets it. To them a rock is something that goes on the pile in the corner of their field, or used as ballast weights on a piece of farm equipment.
A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Trails

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Depends on the crowd and local terrain I've come to find..

I now live on the east coast of Florida.. very tourist and high-class white trash, and doing Farmers Market(there's a joke in here) deals here aggravate me to no end, aside from being agoraphobic. There's a rarity I find anyone aside from our local club, maybe a well-ripened rock hound, or collector that knows the word "Lapidary" or "cabochon", so majority of interactions I feel more of a professor of the lost ages. Some of the questions I am asked just baffle me upon trying to understand.

Anyways, I find most people, that once they see what work goes into my hobby, get completely blown away to want to pay me to teach them or build them machines.
Tay

domdeslagons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
I have one in particular that would say "I don't get it" but when I show him my works he is just amazed! What he can not understand is the time I spend on it, but then I guess he has no hobby! When you have a hobby, something you really like you can spend hours on it!
I don't listen to him, but I am glad he can be amazed by the result!
Just listen to your heart and do what you feel like!

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
If they don't "get it" then too bad. I don't get not wanting to go hiking in the back country and find treasure on the ground. I don't get wanting to spend every night in front of the tv acquiring a gut instead of skills. I don't get pouring money into a hobby when you can have one that is self sufficient.

One of the best compliments that I received was when a friend of mine came to visit. She saw my workshop and was amazed at the rough, the equipment, and the cabs. The comment I loved the most was; "You actually produce a product in your man cave instead of just guzzling beer (which does occur) and watching tv".  I gave her a nice large lake superior cab, and when I left the room she asked my wife if it was truly ok for her to accept it.  Now that is a person who "get's it".