Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue agate, wood and eggs  (Read 798 times)

Kaljaia

Blue agate, wood and eggs
« on: December 24, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »

I reformatted my PC and lost all saved passwords a few weeks back, then launched into vacation, hunting, thanksgiving, more hunting, weather etc... but now that hunting is over and the weather's nice, getting back outside again!

Denim-blue agate, calling it "Starry Night." Found the same location I'd been to before, but apparently I didn't save the coordinates the first time. Got back up there and found it again, along with some really nice float. Some with yellow and red streamers too, which really ups the contrasting blue.

Petrified wood, from the same ridge, really well-preserved detail and woodgrain. It's solid too!

...And farther up the ridge, about half a mile away, a new thunder egg / agate nodules in rhyolite location! No pictures because internet isn't letting me upload things right now, but hopefully after I get some cleaned up. For a few Christmas hikes, not bad.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Blue agate, wood and eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »

Nice finds!  That blue agate is pretty cool.
Robin

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 09:04:32 AM »

Looks like a nice piece of sycamore! Will be interesting to know whether the blue agate will retain its color with UV exposure.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »

Looks like a nice piece of sycamore! Will be interesting to know whether the blue agate will retain its color with UV exposure.

Thanks for the ID on the wood! It's got such a neat outer grain.
The blue is surface-collected so I'm hoping whatever color it is now will hold. Presumably it's been in the sun for a few dozen years already. It was burned over, some of it around a juniper root boll, so the color may also be influenced by that "heat treatment."

Egg pictures:

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 33 queries.