Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: saving Photos from other sites is a no no.  (Read 13459 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
saving Photos from other sites is a no no.
« on: July 16, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »

Saving an image from another persons website, then coming here and posting it in your topic is stealing.
It is also Copyright infringment which can sometimes lead to being sued.

It was recently brought to my attention involving Tahoma Jasper. a few images were taken from the persons website, brought here and posted in a topic talking about the jasper.
I wont name names, I deleted the images.

In the future and since it can ultimately lead to court hearings, if anyone posts an image taken from any website other than their own, its possible you will be unable to post here temporarily and possibly permanently.
this is a serious situation, the owner names on the hosting (ME) can be sued financially.

If you have taken ANY images from any website, posted them here in your topics. please go back to your posts and remove them.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: saving Photos from other sites is a no no.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »

Watermark photos.
Silicate life form

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »

I wonder how Google gets away with it.  Often, when I check out Google Images, I find photos from my own website and many others.  They do have back links to the individual websites but they've never asked my permission before basically swiping my stuff.

I don't mind at all because those images bring more traffic to my site.  But from a strictly legal standpoint, what's the difference between Google's aggregation of copyrighted images vs a forum or an individual using them?   

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »

As I was once told, "we have dozens of lawyers that we need to keep busy". Not by Google but another major corporation. Not sure how many rock and gem people can afford to "lawyer up" as they say today???? So it is good to be on a Forum with integrity.

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

Often, when I check out Google Images, I find photos from my own website and many others.  They do have back links to the individual websites but they've never asked my permission before basically swiping my stuff. 
Copyright law is flexible enough that you or I would have a difficult and expensive time proving that Google, Pinterest and similar sites violated your copyright - and even then you'd likely be awarded minimal or no "damages" unless the image was one that you or others actually make a profit from displaying or selling. There ARE public domain (including just about all images dating before 1923 and most images created by and for the U.S. and other governments), copyright free and royalty-free usage (e.g., the Creative Commons license that Wikipedia and others use) that allow images to be used anywhere. If one isn't sure, then you are safer just assuming that someone owns the rights to the photo. Google and others would likely quickly remove any image that was objected to by its author, but if sued, likely would successfully argue that their uses fall under the "Fair Use" provisions of copyright law in defense of their displaying works of others that are published elsewhere on the Internet.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 07:42:17 PM »

Most people simply ignore copyright.  On my website every image has at the bottom of it "images are copyright of the owner" and each image's meta tags have copyright information and copyright turned on yet I regularly find the images all over pinterest and other sites.  I don't think the average person understands copyright and just feels that if they copy it but don't sell it that it doesn't apply.

On a similar note did you know that any image you take of an animal at most city zoo's remains the copyright of the zoo since the animals likeness belongs to them.

The most surprising thing I have ever found was on a major book publishing site.  I actually read their agreement you always have to say yes to in order to use a site and in their agreement it states that any images you upload to have put in your book belong to the publishing company and they retain the right to sell, use or resell any of your images in perpetuity blah blah blah.  Who would upload to the site if they actually read the agreement?  But pretty much no one does.

Not the site I spoke of above but if you ever used shutterfly you have given them full rights and transferable rights to your images.  Here is text from their terms of use.  Scary 
"You will retain ownership of such User Submitted Materials, and you grant us and our designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, perpetual irrevocable right and license, with right of sublicense (through multiple tiers), to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers)" etc etc etc.  In short you own but you won't get paid and they can use it or let anyone else use it forever for any reason.

Orrum

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:23 AM »

I seldom get into politics hete but unless noted once a picture is made open to the public it's available to the public unless marked. If anyone is that way then it's up to them to protect their image. Sue me but I see no problem. How many times has someone posted a pic to help us solve a problem on repairs etc here that they got from somewhere else. Photo infringement belongs in the Polaroid antique days. Internet killed that. Sorry but my opinion...

Orrum

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:34:17 AM »

Don't try to enforce a rule or law that cannot be enforced due to massive issues. I post pics on here from people that have made jewelry from my claim in Az.36768149_792329484491309_286576697778634752_o.jpg
*36768149_792329484491309_286576697778634752_o.jpg (151.1 kB . 1511x2015 - viewed 426 times)

Orrum

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »

That material is from my claim. The ring was made by a member on here. He posted it on Facebook and I lifted it.

Do you have permission to lift the pic for the monthly cab conest and post it on the top of this page? 

Don't try to do the impossible.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »

Orrum,

Actually, yes, the folks who enter the cab contest know that the "prize" for winning the contest is having their cab posted on top of the forum for a month.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »

Internet copyrighting of images can be rather loose actually.  The first indicator which is indexed from the creation of a web image or web page showing the image is the sites policy. Is the copyright of images actually noted in the policy or just a general site wide copy write statement (c) at the bottom of the page. Ever website would have a policy which defines what is actually can copyright and do about it if someone violates said copyright. The second part is the use of back linking like what google and pinterest does which is part of the general web sphere SEO use and actually expected within the indexing process and released by the owner when they allow their site to be indexed. The last part has to do with as stated above. This website's policy and how users actually go about sharing the images.

In essence, if a user is back linking to the original web page, even if copyright is stated on the original location website. As long as it is not attached to a retail thread where someone is selling something or asking for money. It would be very difficult for the original owner of the image to sue for copyright.  But in the end its the policy of this website not stated and indexed in the above thread that prevents this now for being done. Which means other website owners could now actually sue.  Ins't the law grand! I will shutup now.
~Shain

Trails

• Ever wandering
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »

Eh, I can abide to some rules, but im an anarchist and feel if its on public domain without a watermark or copyright protection, its up for fair game to alter, mock, or infringe upon. Its like taking a picture of people in public without consent. Can it be done, yes, does it get done, yes, can you still be sprayed with bear mace for taking it without consent and refusing to delete it, yes(true story from hitchhiking). My old van and I even got starred in a documentary done by a big TV network without my consent, and the fact of being in a public place(side of the road), I retained no rights, money, or knowledge that I was being filmed until people started following me around talking about seeing the van on TV. Which then turned into a big problem cause of what the documentary was about, later having to sell the van due to it. I contacted the network and quickly got shot down by their lawyers.

I deal with a lot of ebay dealings now, and I always watermark every photo I take. I found as long as I watermark the image, it allows me to contact the person who uses my images, and ebay, to resolve the issue and have the photos removed. In this case, distributing renaissance weapons, where 95% percent of resellers on ebay use the distributors poor stock images, compared to well modeled, lighted and full detail photos, ends up getting more attention then the rest of the sellers. Of course now ebay is trying to turn into Amazon and I'm having issues with type(watermarks) on images, but nothing has stopped me so far from putting our business card in the background to avoid their new rules, and they haven't removed any previous listings of items that do contain such type watermarks.

Of course this is just my opinion.. I haven't had any legal troubles and I have to respect rules set fourth by whatever service I use even though I don't read them. I just go by the safe rule of watermark everything that goes up on internet unless you want to see it in a meme. If people get uppity cause they failed to copyright or watermark images.. I just butcher "their" work with drag queens and send it back to them until they start to adhere to protecting "their" work that their so sensitive about.
Tay

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »

My name is on the website hosting. I am the one that gets the fun of dealing with the crybabies about the unauthorized use of their photos.
I am asking because its a royal pain in my ass dealing with crybabies over a stupid picture.

Ill just make a new membership group for the people that persist, one that cannot post links or photos.

I am not asking people. i am insisting.
take your own photos or dont post any, its really simple.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »

The cost of film & developing.
Plus copy print download.
I have over 6000  and everyone has a name & HTML tag.

Thanks to Picasa from google, Watermarks & down sizing are simple.
And their are many new sites that have the same Google gave up on the picasa 3.
Though the link is good to use still.
 Just another format now. 1/2 good. Cloud now for google storage of photos.
Silicate life form

rocks2dust

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »

I am not asking people. i am insisting.
take your own photos or dont post any, its really simple.
I agree. The average person probably does not understand copyright law as it has existed for the last few decades. A person owns all rights to text and images they create, no matter whether they post a copyright notice, use watermarks or not. If they feel inclined, they have every right to insist that their work be removed, and/or initiate a lawsuit. Moreover, the images on many websites these days are owned and licensed to those sites by big companies (such as Getty Images) who are very quick to send cases of infringment directly to their attorneys (who often demand a payment in order to settle a threatened lawsuit that will cost many $thousands to defend).

I wish there were some easy, free, permanent and reliable image hosting solution for those of us who don't have access to our own servers, but after the Photobucket debacle, I'm wary of most that remain. Even for folks who host images on their own server, I've seen images from those disappear once the person dies, no longer wishes to maintain, or can no longer afford to pay for that server. Would love to post my own photos, but absolutely understand a prohibition of posting photos taken by others gleaned or linked to from other sites.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 55 queries.