Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about galena and Lepidolite  (Read 1041 times)

leclandestin

question about galena and Lepidolite
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:44:20 AM »

question about galena and Lepidolite

wasn't sure where to put this question so i apologize in advance if i'm posting in the wrong topic...
I recently purchased some miniature pieces of galena that are beautifully cleaved and i'd like to make studs with them but have read conflicting information about their toxicity. some sources indicate that given their natural and unprocessed state, the lead content is not dangerous to handle unless it is flaking or dust is inhaled, other sources mention the dangers of just handling it. mind you, i've only read information on the internet about it so i'm not quite sure what to believe. i'm hoping for some experts who have worked with it to chime in.

can i make studs out of it without putting someone in danger due to toxicity if they are sealed and what would be the best product to seal them with?

my second question applies to the really pretty (but very flaky) lepidolite piece that i'd like to make into a necklace. best solution to conserve the shape and cleavage of the stone without turning it into a cab? i love the look of the piece raw. is there a varnish or protective coat i can use that won't break it down?

wasn't sure where to put this question so i apologize in advance if i'm posting in the wrong topic...
I recently purchased some miniature pieces of galena that are beautifully cleaved and i'd like to make studs with them but have read conflicting information about their toxicity. some sources indicate that given their natural and unprocessed state, the lead content is not dangerous to handle unless it is flaking or dust is inhaled, other sources mention the dangers of just handling it. mind you, i've only read information on the internet about it so i'm not quite sure what to believe. i'm hoping for some experts who have worked with it to chime in.

can i make studs out of it without putting someone in danger due to toxicity if they are sealed and what would be the best product to seal them with?

my second question applies to the really pretty (but very flaky) lepidolite piece that i'd like to make into a necklace. best solution to conserve the shape and cleavage of the stone without turning it into a cab? i love the look of the piece raw. is there a varnish or protective coat i can use that won't break it down?

jakesrocks

Re: question about galena and Lepidolite
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:38:25 AM »

Galena will oxidize to a dull grey color very quickly. Looks nice when freshly cleaved, but not suitable for jewelry.

Lepidolite in its mica plate form is much too soft & flakes too easily to be used as jewelry.

As for the toxic nature of Galena, I've handled the stuff off & on since the early 50's & I'm still kicking. Kids have been making crystal radio's with it since at least the 1920's, & I've never heard of someone dying from it.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 29 queries.