Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recycled wood walking sticks & a cane  (Read 2251 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Recycled wood walking sticks & a cane
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »

I am a bit anal about recycling and reusing and it payed off this time. One bed headboard parts made 3 walking sticks and one cane. Took some injinudity to drill the ends of the long pieces of turned (lathe) pieces straight but once that was finished it was easy peasy.

Parts too long for the drill press so I had to swing the head off the side of the table then clamp a board with a hole in it directly below the drill bit.

I had cut off the top shaft so I could drill a hole the same size as the shaft on the bottom of the piece. End result is a nice strong joint when the pieces were glued together.

All of the sticks after glueing.

A finished walking stick minus the top decor.

The finished cane.

Experimented with a bird on the top but settled with the brass flower.

I came up with a way to spin the sticks so I could sand them but I am going to put that process in a different thread. The wood is oak so the sticks are light weight and strong plus the way the wood is shaped makes perfect hand holds at different heights.

Please recycle and reuse all that is possible.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

wampidy

Re: Recycled wood walking sticks & a cane
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »

@enchantra. Right after I posted this the second time I realized I had posted it a second time and tried to remove it. But since I am not allowed to fix my own mistakes on this forum I guess it can either stay or be taken down by someone from the upper crust. This rule is useless because if someone can not change or remove their post because they are pissed all they have to do is change or move their photos at the hosting site which leaves their thread useless. I thought we had this all figured out way back at the start.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

sealdaddy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »

I agree:
"This rule is useless because if someone can not change or remove their post because they are pissed all they have to do is change or move their photos at the hosting site which leaves their thread useless."...and remove the text.

fossilman

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »

As stated before Jim,I like the way you think on making walking sticks!! Nice looking bunch...
God,family and life!!

wampidy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:16:00 AM »

Thank you Mike @fossilman. No idea why but my brain looks at objects as something I may be able to use somewhere down the road for art or something useful. I have carried things around for years thinking "some day". Most do but many things do not and I eventually toss them. This adds a lot of clutter but without the clutter I would have nothing to work with and would have to start everything from scratch.

I just finished up 18 pot pipes that I made from brass objects I knew would come in handy some day. I hope to post them soon because I photographed them last night.

Good to see you here.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

sealdaddy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »

Good to see that you are still alive enough to continue creating, my friend.

All I do now is fish for catfish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.