Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting, Sanding and Polishing Epidote  (Read 1213 times)

Michael

Cutting, Sanding and Polishing Epidote
« on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »

I was in Washington area this summer, and I was at the Tacoma Rock Show in July.  I purchased, (among others) a nice chunk of Epidote.  I have seen this material before, but I have never worked with it.  Accordingly, it is 7+ on the MOHS, and will not scratch with my knife.  The material kind of reminds me somewhat like Kyanite or Tiger Eye.  That is, fibrous.  It is better to cut it across the fiber and then try to go parallel.  In other words, has anyone worked with Epidote, and is there a "best way" to cab this stone, or is it tricky?  Thanks

Slabbercabber

Re: Cutting, Sanding and Polishing Epidote
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

I've never worked it but have seen tumbled stones of the same.  They were polished evenly all the way around so I would assume working it would not be an issue.  Of course, every piece of material is unique.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:57 PM »

i find it all over our Bedrock Prospectors mining claim on Blewett pass (mostly stuck to other rocks), There is a huge area of blewett pass with big boulders but its a long hike.
I havent tried to work any of it, mostly stuck to serpentine.

Are you local to seattle area?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »

I have never cut any, but I know Lithicbeads has.  I'm sure he'll help you out when he see this.
Robin

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »

I have cut some cabs out of epidote fans. It doesn’t seam to mater witch way you cut it. I cut so that the ends of the Crystals would show and be sparkling

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »

I have a small cabin in Hansville  WA for the summer.  Really nice, but for late fall, winter and early spring, I do in AZ.  I find that both WA and AZ and their surrounding sister states are fun for rock enthusiasts. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 37 queries.