Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: splashing oil. sucks  (Read 5098 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: splashing oil. sucks
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »

You're most welcome.  Ask any questions you have.  We have a lot of folks who know an awful lot who will most likely be able to answer anything.  Post some pictures of your equipment and rocks when you have some time.  We love looking at everybody else's stuff.   :occasion14:
Robin

oakstrails

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 01:50:54 AM »

Will do

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

oakstrails

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »

Both sides of a slab I cut.
Hope I can cab this one.
Don't even know how to label it. Sedimentary quartz conglomerate. ???

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »

i say granite.

oakstrails

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »

i say granite.
This actually came out of a gold mine. It's to soft in the reddish area to be granite.
Limonite, quartz, copper, iron & prob a load of other stuff. We had something similar to this in one of our other mines that had some rare earth minerals in it. Not sure if I can get a polish on this, but I'll try.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »

You can bolt a piece of leather or pvc shower liner onto the back of the lid so it hangs down inside the saw tank, that will do the same thing as a fender except it can cover the whole back side of the tank and is really easy to do.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

oakstrails

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »

You can bolt a piece of leather or pvc shower liner onto the back of the lid so it hangs down inside the saw tank, that will do the same thing as a fender except it can cover the whole back side of the tank and is really easy to do.

Tony
So would that leather hang down just behind the tank lid hinge, just barley touching the saw blade?

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »

The lazy way (what I do) -

1) Use a plastic container such as Cool Whip containers to scrape about a gallon or two of muck from the bottom of the saw after it has not been run for a few days.  Put the muck into a five gallon bucket.  Add to the muck until the bucket is pretty full.

2) Let it sit for a couple of weeks and pour off all the oil that rose to the top.  Pour the oil into a clean five gallon bucket to use to add back to the saw as needed before adding new clean oil.

3) Repeat step two until the muck becomes pretty much a clay.

4) Pour or scrape the clay left into used 1 gallon ziplock bags.  Put them into the trash to go to a approved landfill.

When I am really busy cutting I can have four buckets of varying stages of muck to clay.  You do not loose the oil that the paper bags hold; you have a bit less waste clay without the bag and it takes about the same amount of time to get clean oil.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 41 queries.