Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Lightning in black basalt  (Read 2621 times)

55fossil

White Lightning in black basalt
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »

I went wandering off the beaten track two weeks ago and found some basalt with white patterns in it that resemble lightning. I have to give credit to a badger for showing me where the rock was. All the rocks you could see in the area were covered in moss and lichens. The area around the badger hole was littered with bright black basalt. I have not cut any cabochons yet. Many of the moss covered boulders were actually basanite. The basalt goes from a coarse texture all the way to a very fine grained basanite. Some has minor jasper inclusions as well as some being jet black. Hope you enjoy the pictures.  neal

The first picture is of the rock found by the badger hole. I will have to go back and do more searching. It looks as if this is a volcanic vent as there is very little basalt in the area. It is almost all ash flows from eruptions.

55fossil

Re: White Lightning in black basalt
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »

Here are a couple more pictures....

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »

That is pretty darned cool!  Basalt brecciated and then filled in with some other mineral.  Some of those patterns are quite nice!  You will have to post the cabs when you get a chance.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »

I agree.  Almost reminds me of Picasso Jasper.  Very cool find!   :headbang:
Robin

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »

Awesome material! Love those badgers for mounding up interesting stuff when they dig. Will the basalt take a shine?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

rocks2dust

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:05 AM »

Yes, that is a very attractive contrasty pattern. I've seen similar where the white was common opal. Basalt can take a good shine (same as porphyry) and basanite an even better.

Orrum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:29:17 AM »

Really awesome Neal!   Hey you hound a bunch and I need someone to answer a question. Is there knapping grade opalite out there? Seems like all the books talk about it but it doesn't sound like it's big enough to knapp?  Thanks, Bill

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

Hey Orrum;   Opalite is in the same category as black jasper with me. I only know what people have told me, and there have been a lot of different and conflicting stories. Is opalite just common opal or????  Wish I could be more help, good luck.  neal

Orrum

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:39:12 AM »

Hey thanks Neal that's what I keep finding out. I think opalite is s rare hard to find rock. I only can find pieces that make very small arrowheads. Hope your retirement is letting you get out n prospect more now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 43 queries.