Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange slabs?  (Read 1000 times)

Bluetangclan

Orange slabs?
« on: October 31, 2023, 10:50:26 AM »

I posted elsewhere but does anyone have any relatively solid orange slabs available? The orange calcite that I previously tried was more yellow than orange. I havent seen a true orange carnelian. I am looking for slabs to make knife scales so they do not have to be super thick, but that also means being translucent isnt a good quality either.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Orange slabs?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »

I haven't seen truly orange material unless it was dyed.  Goodluck.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 05:49:46 PM »

I saw some reaaly Orange colored material from Oregon. It was mottled with some white but primarily a bright orange. It was called Ocean Breeze jasper and it was mined by a guy named Jim who lives in Bend, Oregon. The orange material was very rare but I did see one large boulder at the mine. Last I heard Jim was not doing really well and was not mining the material any more. Jim is an old Veteran so be kind if you try to locate him and find some of this material.
PS:  Ocean Breeze jasper is highly under rated. It has mostly softer colors but incredible patterns. Cuts easy and takes an awesome polish. Sadly, too much low grade material has been put on the market. Like so many other jaspers, it is hard to get ahold of the truly great material.
   Maybe someone on the forum can help you locate this material.

christos

• Lithon Choros- Λίθων Χορός
  • Love will save humanity
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 06:38:04 PM »

I posted elsewhere but does anyone have any relatively solid orange slabs available? The orange calcite that I previously tried was more yellow than orange. I havent seen a true orange carnelian. I am looking for slabs to make knife scales so they do not have to be super thick, but that also means being translucent isnt a good quality either.
i have orange beryls if you want
ΔΙΑς ΖΕΥς ΕΛ ΛΑς  -

DaLanMan

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 11:38:43 PM »

I have an inherited collection and in it I have a few stumpers. I have been to shows, and clubs.. and yup, no clue. I have a few bits of what everyone has agreed is quartz, but where and when is unknown (I ended up with a collection that was left in a storage shed for like 30 years, prior to that long absence, someone had lovingly collected about 40-50 tonnes of stones. Some of it is inexplicable, I don't know what he was keeping it for... Other pieces have proven he had an amazing eye for stones, no skill whatsoever at making Cabs though ::shakes head::

I have not slabbed any of what everyone has called Tangerine quartz, it is literally the bright almost false colour of tangerine juice.  I have a cruddy saw still so not a lot of slab work thus far, I am still shaping down the ::thinks:: 90 boxes of slabs that were in the collection, including one mostrosity that appears to have been cut on a 40+" blade.. maybe a water jet or a very large band saw, the face is a good meter tall, and about 30cm across... I have not even seen a saw that would pass this beast.. and like i said.. there is just nothing there of interest. It is a mottled red/brown jaspar that aside from the size. is totally unremarkable.

If you want I can dig into the cratres this week and get some pics for ya.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:27:27 AM »

Always happy to see big finds like this. Never know what you will come across
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 37 queries.