Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stone Discoloration  (Read 931 times)

RutherfordbHaye5

Stone Discoloration
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »

Let me start by saying im a noob when it comes to cabbing. I got a rough stone with small silicate deposits recently and I cut a small slab off it to get a better look at the insides. I suddenly had to leave and left the cutting oil on the stone for around 24 hours. When I came back to it the stone looked significantly darker, even after giving it a wash. What does this mean? Is the stone more porous than it looks and absorbed the oil? Is mineral oil not a good thing to leave on a stone? I'll try to post some pictures but the resolution is too high on the ones I have so I need to retake them tonight.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Stone Discoloration
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:15:22 PM »

Virtually all  stones are porous to a degree.Stones with a high feldspar content can be quite porous as well as some opals of course and even quartz gems.Porosity is what allows agate to be dyed. Some stones should not be cut in oil and if they are they should be cleaned immedistely. Taking a small piece of the rough and putting it in water for a few days helps tell if there will be a problem. If the stone is more translucent or gemmy after being hydrated it is quite porous and will revert to its less translucent state after it loses the pore water. People sometimes say polishing locks the water in , it does not.

RutherfordbHaye5

Re: Stone Discoloration
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »

Thanks for your reply! Turns out the rock isnt workable anyways, too many pits. This is still a good thing to know for future specimens!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 30 queries.