Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workroom/Studio gone! rusted, cab lap rusted wheels melted, total disaster!  (Read 1491 times)

Nirena

So my studio/workroom is gone. Posted this where rock/jewelers/ would see.  I had to evacuate everything. I was looking around and noticed my anvil was brown. I cleaned it off. I looked around somemore everything was brown!!! All the metal started to rust the wheels on my cab macbine either melted or rusted off. My rolling mill...completely rust, even when noticing it change in front of my eyes. I scrubbed but can't save everything. All tools not stainless rust. It seems I used a few diluted sprays of HCL for a green patina on a few rings. A day later I left the pickle on for a day which must have triggered a reaction. The greasy HCL was everywhere in everything. And eating everything metal. Has anyone heard of this? Bigger problem. Anything that goes in that room if it's metal or rock begins to instantly rust. all my rocks, slabs, rusted, bleached turned funny colors. "Had' a rock collection. I noticed it stays on paper but doesn't hurt it, plastic neither or wood. Cleaned everything I can think in that room. Keeping everything in ziploc that comes in the house if it's metal or rock. Cleaned everything in that room can't find what's triggering it. I threw out some very valuable note and drawing paper that was in there. Have been slowly trying to derust my tools, my poor files, my hammers, my everything. Some things aren't rusting but if in the vecinity of something that will rust it will start it rusting! And the stuff that's rusted, the second it's scrubbed off it comes back unless I use a ton of mineral oil. What a disaster! I still need to clean out my rust clogged cab machine and replace the wheels. Have a long job on that rolling mill, if it's fixable. The worst part is having to ziploc up everything. It leaves a greasy yellow coating that is suppose to neutralize by soaking in baking soda. I've been soaking for days. Kind works. Won't stop rusting. Afraid to put new wheels on. Afraid to bring a rock in. Still in the repairing phase but what a horrible lesson to learn!! It even spread to my room across the hall...my desk lamp started rusting! It did eventually stop and I neutralized it. It's like a living thing. If you touched something it's on you could start your favorite metal or rock anything to rust right in from of yur eyes. I almost quit everything entirely when looking at the damage. I sprayed the rings with a very dilute (which I know can make it stronger) muriatic acid (HCL) twice a day for on day. left it for 3, noticing nothing chucked them (cheap rings). Hours later I noticed the brown tinge to the tools. The HCL was suppose to work after 3 days. I noticed it was lightly rusted then threw them out in another room. Everything metal, especially steel is bright orange? Anyone know a better way to get rid of this? I felt like the pickle vapor vaporized the acid and spread it. Cause it's even on my books. It will leave a brown grease stain on the floor. I barely used any. So crazy. Never do this, never do this....!!!!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services

I'm so sorry this is happening to you!  I've never heard of anything so extreme, but I have always heard to never store your tools by your pickle pot because they can rust just from the fumes.  Wish I could tell you how to fix it.  If you've had your heat on, maybe that's how it's spreading?  You may want to see if your homeowner's insurance will pay for the damage?   :dontknow:
Robin

Nirena

Yeah stupid me turns on the crock pot on that particular day...perhaps I'm thinking (satan), made me make one normal action that I rarely do, plug in the crock pot. It fumed for a few hours, HCL's boiling point is 100, I believe it turned the HCL to vapor spread by the pot. have a really little crock pot too. I read about that patina recipe for 3 yrs. Just was to busy to experimenting. I've been washing all my stuff in dads old work sink. All the pipes have turned green, like the patina. It grows and spreads like it's alive. And destroys your cherished things. I rescued grandmas old jewels. Seems anything enclosed, in a drawer thats sealed, in a cupboard, in a bag is okay. Let's hope. My favourite slabs are on the floor in their special box. I waiting for one day when I have to look at them and see if they survived.They were in a reed box, only protected by bubble wrap exposed to air, not sounding so good. So strong for how little I used. No smell, no coughing, no rashes, did nothing to me. Except spend days alone trying to rescue my cherished items. Now black, orange rust. Cab wheels dissolved. There's so much to be done. Thank you for caring. It's really put me in a never outta bed depressive lately. Was gonna chuck 10 yrs of work in garbage. Friend convinced me otherwise.

rocks2dust

I'd still mention the exposure to your doctor. Have you tried baking soda to try to neutralize pieces? Metals may be permanently etched, but sodium bicarbonate may stop the reaction if it hasn't gone too deep. There are chemical available from online coin dealers for stopping metal disease in silver, bronze and copper (usually caused from HCL produced by storing in plastic or in acidic wood containers). Books and paper items can be neutralized, but it is expensive (libraries send out valuable books for the process). Sad that you have to deal with this mess - and yes, check your homeowner's policy before sending anything to the garbage/dump (the adjuster may need to verify the damage).

Nirena

Yes have been soaking everything in baking soda. Right now head is just scrambling to prevent more damage. Any thing to save my prescious slabs.

Nirena

I think I'm ok, but the acid is still working, won't stop till neutralized. I used so little. Didn't smell anything, lungs are fine, sleeping well. Had that bottle under on of the work benches for3 yrs. So bad! Horrible. Thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 37 queries.