Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please id-ing my most prized piece!  (Read 1197 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Help please id-ing my most prized piece!
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »

I have been labeling my signature piece [literally, the one I use in my profile] as a piece of jasper. I found it on the beach in Newport, OR in the early '80's.
However, I cannot find a more definitive name for it...or is there one?
I will be using it as part of a display at our annual Gem show, and I would love to fully ID it. Y'all are aces at identifying things, it blows me away (a little flattery to grease the wheels  :icon_thumright:
thanks!
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: Help please id-ing my most prized piece!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »

How about a full size photo of the cab?  The photo of the rough is not clear and the profile photo way too small to ID with.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

Yes, better photos please.   The end looks greasy and smooth which is common in many jaspers of the northwest. But a more specific "real" name may not exist other than beach jasper. One of my favorites is a blue-green jasper with pyrite swirls found in your area, also in browns. It has been given a dozen names and the latest one I saw was Storm Jasper by a guy selling it. Most people in this area have collected it because you can find it from Astoria to south past Newport.  good luck

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »

Here are three cabs from this stone - the bracelet is back in the Northwest on my daughter's wrist :)
This is the best I could get after a dozen shots. Thank you for any input.
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »

Hard to say, I opened and magnified the pics and it looks like it could be a petrified wood of some type.  I don't see distinct grain or cells but some areas look like they might have some, I just can't see it in the pics.  If I picked it up my first guess would be wood.  There are a lot more people with more local knowledge of the area it was found in that may have a better clue.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »

Hard to say, I opened and magnified the pics and it looks like it could be a petrified wood of some type.  I don't see distinct grain or cells but some areas look like they might have some, I just can't see it in the pics.  If I picked it up my first guess would be wood.  There are a lot more people with more local knowledge of the area it was found in that may have a better clue.
I was entertaining that thought too, from a google search where I saw rocks of very similar colors and "texture" the rough piece has and it was noted as Petrified Wood. But I don't see "distinct grains or cells" in the cab up close (???)
Hopefully some Oregonian sees this and recognizes it!
Many thanks!!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »

i have a bunch of this also. common western oregon yellow jasper.
all mine are smaller pieces from tillamook river area
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.