Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Donation Challenge  (Read 7268 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Forum Donation Challenge
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »

Good add, Amanda!   :icon_thumleft:
Robin

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »

The money is used for keeping this site up and running.  Hosting fees, bandwidith, etc.  That is all it will ever be used for.  To make sure this site stays here for a very, very long time.   :icon_sunny:

Just also something I am going to add here.
Donating is solely up to the member.  No pressure.
We will never come on and beg for money or donations.  If we feel we need funds for something we will either auction off items to get the cash, or in this case, Michael decided to offer an incentive to folks to donate.  We did spend quite a bit on getting the old forum backed up and spent money as well getting help to deal with a  software platform version conflict - which still isn't resolved, but it's being worked on.
Unfortunately, they sold us a bad backup. its never going to work for us and the owner of that old server has blocked me (or plain ignoring me) for asking him for a working "Good" copy.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »

You are always so awesome Redrummd!!!!!!!

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »

I will be mailing the boxes Monday.  Since I am using small flat rate boxes I am adding other "stuff" to the Jade or Purple Cow selections.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »

I will be mailing the boxes Monday.  Since I am using small flat rate boxes I am adding other "stuff" to the Jade or Purple Cow selections.

Memorial Day is Monday, Post office will be closed.  Tuesday will work better.   :icon_sunny:

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »

So, one more day for someone to step up and donate too.....   :glasses9: :laughing4:

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

I liked the idea on the old website where you cycled member banners in exchange for helping out.

Am I the only one? Has this idea been discussed?

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »

I liked the idea on the old website where you cycled member banners in exchange for helping out.

Am I the only one? Has this idea been discussed?

It hasn't been discussed actually.
This place is so much cheaper to run than the old place that we haven't seen the need for the banners.  We don't ask for donations, nor will we ever pressure folks into donating.  That's not how we operate here.  If we ever need funds we will auction off items or you will see events like what Michael has generously done for us here.

The problem with the banners on the old forum was that some of those banners stayed up and running despite either the business behind them going under, closing, or the folks no longer coming to the forum.  It wasn't being policed by George, or rather anyone else.  It was an "On your honor" sort of thing.  Once your banner was up, it stayed there.  I had no idea how to fix it, I'm not a code person.  George just sort of let things run after he put them up and that was that.  So folks were in the end following banners to sites that either no longer existed, or were no longer supporting the forum.  One time I clicked on four separate banners, and two of them were gone, one of them was to someone who was no longer on the forum. 

Now all that said, I'm not saying we won't have banners.  That is something all the admins here (All six of us) will have to put our heads together and discuss.  Running this place the way we do, we need to have most admins in agreement either way on the issue to make a final decision.  We make every attempt to run this place as much like a democracy as we can.  That means members of the administration and moderators get together to make decisions, and sometimes we will also put things to a  forum wide vote as well if we feel the need to discuss something like a major policy change, or some other issue that will affect forum members as a whole.

So ultimately, while the banners are not needed here, that doesn't mean we won't have them eventually.

FLRocks

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »

Kent, you're right I guess I missed it.  Getting old and feeble minded sucks.

Okay, Phish keep an eye out for my additional $30.00

FLRocks (Bennett)

OKay,
I've got it straight and have sent my additional $30.00.  It's for a good cause

Bennett (FLRocks)
Bennett

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »

I got my box!  Wow such beautiful slabs!  Thank you Michael!  :icon_sunny:
The Purple cow is exquisite.  However what caught my eye was the Skokomish River flower Jasper.  That little piece made my day.  Last year I had earrings made with that which Fire Mountain Gems somehow lost - never to be seen again.  They had been part of a much larger entry.  Now I have the Jasper to potentially create replacement earrings if I want to.   :thumbsup:

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 07:41:21 PM »

I am glad you like the box of rocks.  The Skokomish is a rare stone seldom found and appears to most likely be a glacial drop as it is found randomly in the river and surrounding land.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »

I am glad you like the box of rocks.  The Skokomish is a rare stone seldom found and appears to most likely be a glacial drop as it is found randomly in the river and surrounding land.

Good to know how Rare it is.  That would explain why I can never find cabs of it for sale online.  Folks must hoard what they have of it. I don't blame them in the least, it's gorgeous stuff.

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 08:22:38 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised with the great selection of slabs I received, thank you! I'm looking forward to working with them.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »

Well I am happy that you like the pieces.....   :icon_sunny:

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »

Haha, I donated 25.00 last night and didn't see this post till today.  I would have gladly made it 30!  Silly me.  Generous offer there Michael!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 55 queries.