Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park oil cleaner  (Read 5266 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Highland Park oil cleaner
« on: November 24, 2016, 06:51:59 AM »

Just happened upon this oil cleaner from Highland Park. Tad out of my budget but sure looks nice. 

http://www.hplapidary.com/en/highland-park-everclean-integrated-oil-cleaning-for-mounting-on-machine

They have a Youtube video of one being installed. After watching I noticed HO has a You Tube channel with lots of videos. There is one of a short tour of their factory which is quiet the eye opener.

Sandsave

Re: Highland Park oil cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 09:34:11 AM »

Hum looks good my 24" takes 5 gallons i wonder if anyone on the forum has tried one?

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »

I can buy over 100 gallons (two barrels) of light mineral oil oil for the price of that contraption.....

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »

I prefer to recover my oil after I clean my saw. You can get at least 1/3 of your oil back just by letting the junk settle out in a bucket. In a couple weeks the rock sludge settles out and the oil comes to the top to be used again. I also use the paper bag method to filter out the rest and recover more oil. If I was rich I would buy one of those filters, very, very rich.

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »

I hear you. I just wonder if anyone has actually tried one, sounds to good to be true, you would never have to change our oil. I have a five gallon bucket with a bunch of holes in the bottom, put the used oil in a paper bag let it sit for a few days.

Sandsave

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »

I haven't seen anyone on the forum comment that they have tried one of these or know anyone who has. It might be like the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is"

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 06:36:08 AM »

I'm guessing that the price tag on it just isn't worth not having to clean the saw for most folks.
Robin

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

I can understand not wanting to climb in and clean a large saw.  But I can't understand the price of this filter.  I've watched the prices for a lot of equipment just keep going up.  I used to know quite a few people that had 18 to 24 inch saws.  I think I'm the last one with a 20 inch.  I truly wonder if we are watching prices push people out of the hobby.  Thanks for letting me rant.
Steve

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »

chevron shingle oil has a flash point of  351 degree F..................

Some coolants will turn your saw into a BBQ........be safe.

Iv cut with it for decades though very heavy.  i dump a bottle of PINE-Sol in it, And qt. of transmission oil. 

The transmission oil has a lot of  de-greaser in it.

In the 60s dad use kerosene and no. 2 stove oil mix.
Silicate life form

tetonartgallery

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »

Just don't clean your saw, mine cuts better with sludgey oil.   I can take a slab from the saw to 600 grit, i make a lot of flat finished slab earrings.

BlueWood

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »

I bought a Highland Park 24 inch slab saw and ordered a everclean system for it at the same time(Fall of 2017).  Went together real well as all the holes and plates are on the saw now and there is no drilling or cutting involved.  As for the effectiveness of the oil cleaning system I like it.  Depending on material and the size of the material it may not keep up with keeping the tank clean but it does remove alot of muck and it does lengthen the time between cleaning by quite a bit.

bobby1

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »

A friend of mine has one and he loves it! We are going to get one for the local junior college that we support. We just bought them a new Highland Park 18" saw so we are going to install it on that saw.
Bob

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »

Blow me over, I met a guy today who swears he likes his HP oil cleaner (its on a 20") and he is going to whomp one up for his 24" Covington.  At the price, I'll keep on keeping on with the old way, but if you like things neat, you have that option. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 48 queries.