Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter eggs and slabs  (Read 1084 times)

Kaljaia

Winter eggs and slabs
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »

Apparently Oregon isn't getting a winter this year. It's terrifyingly dry and warm. We'll be hurting for water all summer long if we don't get a good snow dump and though the warm weather and early grass will help birth weights for wildlife, there won't be forage through July and August. It reverses our seasons- everything grows in winter and dies in summer.

That said, the roads are dry and the air is warm, so there's been opportunity for some unseasonable outdoor adventures.

Went back to the palisades formation. This place is 'just out the back door,' relatively speaking. It's a ten minute ATV ride or a thirty minute walk and contains free-standing agatized tree trunks, with gold moss agate and bright red jasper nodules heaving up from the bentonite seeps on the hillside below. It's on a swatch of enclosed BLM, so no public access right now but still protected land. Usually we can't get back in here until spring and it's closed from July to December, so seeing it so early was nice. I took some friends in to see it on foot and they went nuts over the petrified trees and the immense arch on the far side. A few even started picking up jasper. I think I have successfully infected them...

Gold moss from below the palisades:

The streamers are a yellow crystalline material that dries, crazes, pits and looses its color. It probably can't be polished so it's earmarked for display rock and maybe a coaster.

Sheep Shack jasper, just over the hill from the palisades. One of the better pieces I've cut from there. This will go into the tabletop mosaic.

Cut from a new material, just have one chunk of it. the streamers are clear quartz in a green jasper, the dots may not let it polish but cool material anyway.

Old Military Road thunder eggs from yesterday, just collection photos. That road is another one that crosses half a dozen springs and is thus not attempted until May, but with so little rain several springs were dry and the rest were at summer-levels. There's three thunder egg occurrences along this road that I know of, probably more, as it winds in and out of the t-egg layer. Two parts of the road are built out of big thunder egg conglomerate blocks.

Chalk eggs sometimes contain zeolites like the orange clinoptilolite. The big plate is an interior surface of an enormous chalk egg (they get big, but break easily). The pink with the calcite is new and I'm excited to clean that one up, I think it'll make a really cool display specimen. It's half a double egg. The other half was also hollow and the top came off it following a rather long bouncy ATV ride. It contained loose strands of orange crystalline fuzz with the consistency of spiderwebs in sawdust. I'm not sure if it is spiderwebs and powdered zeolites, or just a really weird zeolite formation. If you've ever discovered wool moths in your whole wheat flour, that's exactly what it looked like inside.

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

Re: Winter eggs and slabs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »

Great share Erika,
Warm and pretty dry over here in McKenzie Bridge also. Good to have a little armchair hounding to look at.
Bill

Bill

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »

Great post. Sorry on the forage, it could be a horrible year for the animals. 37 days of continuous rain at my place , pretty much a normal winter but the warmest in 7 years as well. Have fun.

Sapphireminer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »

Hi thank you for sharing the photos of some nice stones  and what a  lovely spot to have in your back yard. I think the extra dry years dont do  to much harm to the wildlife its part of the natural selection of things the old and the weak may die but the strong live on making the genetic line even stronger.
Dave

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »

Great post. Sorry on the forage, it could be a horrible year for the animals. 37 days of continuous rain at my place , pretty much a normal winter but the warmest in 7 years as well. Have fun.

Yeah my folks in Tacoma are damp too, usually it comes over the mountains and rains here as well, but this year it isn't.

Hi thank you for sharing the photos of some nice stones  and what a  lovely spot to have in your back yard. I think the extra dry years dont do  to much harm to the wildlife its part of the natural selection of things the old and the weak may die but the strong live on making the genetic line even stronger.
Dave

I know, just makes for a hard few years. Had deer fever go through in '16, then the never ending winter of '17. We're still finding fever buck carcasses from winterkill or cougars and folks here took a few during hunting season. I don't know if it hurts doe fertility like it does bucks. ODFW said last winter's winterkill rate was pretty high. And my county has wolves now. Maybe the dry weather will solve the elk foot rot problem... my cow elk had a bad foot, they're still testing to see if it was the same as what's in WA.
- Erika

Kaljaia

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »

Slabs. Decided not to do a town run today, that can wait. Weather's good so out the saw came.

Slabs for a coaster project.

Nice Donnybrook egg, the only one I have from that location though I have others from the same bed. Wanted just one from the public area so I could tell folks what to look for. This was from the soft dirt on the downhill side, left over from when they freshened up the ditch earlier this year.
- Erika

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:05:56 AM »

Wow, that first one is awesome!
Robin

captbob

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:38 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure and photos with us. Being in Florida, AKA the land of no rocks, I always enjoy seeing where others hound and the beauties they find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.