Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trow and Holden carbide hammer  (Read 1311 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
trow and Holden carbide hammer
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

I have been wanting one of these for a long time and decided to splurge. I first tried it on a piece of metamorphosed granite and it took too long to split it so i will stick to normal crystallized granite cobbles. The intent is to use them on stone walls. The other use I envision for it is to break up huge pieces of lapidary rough .If the rough has an incipient crack it works extremely well.It is a 4 lb hammer with a very sharp carbide edge and is designed to be used by striking the rock or as I prefer, placing the hammer where you envision a split and striking it with a 4 lb hammer. I am back on crutches and can carry very little weight so I need to be able to break rough in the field and break the huge pieces of rough in my yard.The hammer works very well for that leaving a very clean break so I can finally use some of the rough i have been staring at for a few decades.Nice tool.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: trow and Holden carbide hammer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »

Damn! That is a pricey hammer - but good tools are always worth the money. Looks like it works great, too.

For the price on their website it should come with a guy to carry the rocks after you split them.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »

I  have been working with stone as a masons helper since
I was a kid and I am sorry I did not buy this many years ago.A lot of my rough that would never have been used has good sized pieces split off ready for the saw and much of this is very special rough so it will pay for itself in a few weeks.It could be worse , a friend just bought a diamond chain saw and the hydraulics package alone was about 3 grand.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »

I guess I'm just lazier.  I use an angle grinder with masonry blade to score around a rock then hit it with a chisel.  The biggest one I've split that way was over two hundred pounds.  One whack and awayswhe went.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 33 queries.