Rock Art > Cabochons, Intarsias, Cameos

Amazonite cabochons

(1/2) > >>

55fossil:
     I bought a big chunk of Amazonite out of a guys front yard last year, maybe 40 pounds. It has the flashy sparkle in some areas and a section at the bottom that has more like a quartz look. The bottom area is a soft green and also has some white quartz in it. No sparkle and translucent.  Another section at the top has some color zoning with transparency. It cabs really easy and you have to watch out because it cuts so easily. Very solid but there are a lot of horizontal cracks to work around.
     I thought this might be aventurine due to all the sparkle on the surface..   Well, here are some pictures of the cabs I cut and a couple with a light behind the stone to show how transparent it is.
     Several sets of pictures due to size....

55fossil:
more pics,  Amazonite

vitzitziltecpatl:
Have read both your posts, and seen the rough photo you posted.

From the look of the top row cabs and the backlit color, I'd lean more toward Aventurine.

Have never had any Aventurine with the darker bands in it, but the color doesn't fit well with most Amazonite.

Not an expert on either one, but have handled and cut a fair bit of both.

55fossil:
     I have to agree with you. The sparkly effect in some of this stone being my key factor at this point.
But... the pictures and descriptions on line pretty similar. thanks,

irockhound:
I agree with Vince, I would lean adventurine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version