Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turkish blue chalcedony  (Read 711 times)

brentnewton

Turkish blue chalcedony
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »

I currently have this obsession with blue chalcedony.  I wanted to collect rocks from the major locations .... that is getting to be a big task.  I have a question about Turkish blue chalcedony.  Most of what I have seen are nodules ... you know, with a window knocked off looking all blue inside :). But .... I just bought some stuff off eBay from India that looks like it must be from a seam.  Its flat ... botyrodial (can't spell) ... and deep blue.  Looks like nice stuff ... so is the deeper blue stuff seam agate/chalcedony???  I posted another question about cutting the nodules ... which I stupidly posted in the welcome section and have asked the moderator to move if he can ... but that stuff seems to be kinda pale blue.  The stuff I bought from India is a nice blue ... real flat.  I've had good luck buying from India in the past ... have not gotten it yet.

VegasJames

Re: Turkish blue chalcedony
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

Are you sure the darker blue stuff is not dyed? Common with a lot of ricks coming from overseas.

brentnewton

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »

No .. don't think so.  You do see a lot dyed crap .. this is rough.  Inconsistent coloration ... matrix not dyed.   I agree .. virtually ALL the cabs on the market are dyed.  I have a stash of blue opal .. like really blue, blue Peruvian opal rough .. most if not all Peruvian opal is dyed.  I'll report back when it gets here .. but, no does not looked dyed.  Its not .  Its damn blue though :)

brentnewton

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

As an aside.  I have had really good experiences buying both stones and rough form Indian (the subcontinent) suppliers ... never been burned.  Always the quality they present. I've had may ass chapped by the Chinese ... and he Australians ... and by various sources in South American ..... but never by and someone in India. Just my experience. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 33 queries.