Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grinding wheels, sintered vs standard electro plated  (Read 3581 times)

Jhon P

Grinding wheels, sintered vs standard electro plated
« on: July 20, 2016, 12:59:30 PM »

Will the sintered diamond grinding wheels last that much longer than the standard diamond wheels? They are at least three times the price. You would have to get over three times the life? I wear out an eight inch 80 grit wheel once a year or so. I have never wanted to gamble the price to see if they are worth the money.
 Anyone have any experience with them?

tntmom

• Global Moderator
Re: Grinding wheels, sintered vs standard electro plated
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »

I love my sintered wheels.  They are solid steel and heavy though at 15lbs each so I had to get a dedicated 2 wheel arbor for them.  Most people I know that have invested in sintereds have been using them up to 10 years depending on daily or weekly cabbing.  My sintered wheels have 5mm of diamond on them.  That's a heck of a LOT of diamond that gets continuously exposed as you use them so they pretty much always feel brand new.  Just always make sure to cut side to side so you don't wear down the middle, it would be awful to accidentally make 5mm of diamond and metal uneven  :dontknow:.  There is a night and day difference compared to an 80 or 220 Galaxy when it comes to speed and longevity.  My sintereds are 60 and 180.  My 6 wheel arbor is soft Nova's only now.

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

johnjsgems

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »

I've seen pro cutter' with 5 year old sintered wheels that still look brand new.  These are people grinding daily for a living.  Depends on how much cutting you do.  My Galaxy wheels on my Genie are about 16 years old.  I was on the road for 10 years and too busy now except for a little grinding before Quartzsite.  Wouldn't be cost effective for me.  If you wear out DP Galaxy wheels in a year it should for you.  If Chinese wheels, one year is pretty good.  My pro cutters that tried them got 2-3 months.

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

As someone who cuts several thousand stones a year, I would never go back to standard wheels.  I was replacing my grinding wheels 2 or 3 times a year and since I put on the sintered wheel 4 years ago, I haven't changed it out but I have been cutting even more than I was.  Sintered wheels will last a hobbyist a lifetime. 

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »

Ok I guess I will bit the bullet and buy one. I have been buying the Kingsley north wheels and it is a pain to dissemble the arbor to replace them (I have a Fran Tom, a good old heavy duty unit)
I do a fair number of cabs but doing the knifes takes a lot of wear on the wheels. The 220 and the 360 wheel doesn't get as much wear. Thanks I think that it will be more cost effective in the long run

Rockoteer

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »

As someone who cuts several thousand stones a year, I would never go back to standard wheels.  I was replacing my grinding wheels 2 or 3 times a year and since I put on the sintered wheel 4 years ago, I haven't changed it out but I have been cutting even more than I was.  Sintered wheels will last a hobbyist a lifetime. 

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose
Where do you buy your sintered wheels?
tks
Gary

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

I got mine from Han's lapidary.  Shipping takes time but the savings is worth it.

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

I purchased mine from Kingsley North.  The 6" wheels are just under $400 ea Considering that the standard wheels are 170 to 200 ea, the sintered wheels make sense if you are cutting a lot of stones. 

I bought my sintered wheels about 5 years ago and they are still cutting like they did when I bought them.  I would have spent at least 5 times the cost of the sintered wheel replacing the metal bond wheels.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

edgarscale

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »

thanks for the heads up.  i wondered about buying new wheels, costs and which is better.  just using Novas right now. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Jhon P

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

I bought the 8" sintered 80 grit wheel shortly after this post. A year ago now and I cannot see any visable wear. It was worth the price in not having to disable the machine to replace it. At this rate I don't think it will ever wear out.  When I wear out the 220 grit wheel I will order one to replace it.

ileney

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:09 AM »

Where did you get your sintered wheel? I am thinking of getting one or possibly two.

Jhon P

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »

I think I got it from Kingsley north lapidary supply

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »

Knives? not good for metal grinding...  not even the shank area after the rock is attached.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »

The heat from grinding will cause the diamond to combine chemically with the carbon in the steel.  This quickly destroys the wheel.

ileney

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »

Thanks Jhon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 54 queries.