Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grooved stone wrap.  (Read 2326 times)

Jhon P

Grooved stone wrap.
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »

I picked up a used glass grinder and bought a groove cutting bit. messing around with learning to do a single wire wrap. anyone have a different or better way to do the wrap?
 this is a stripped agate I collected when I was in McDermit. double sided, domed on both sides

Stonemon

Re: Grooved stone wrap.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »

I built a custom fence for my trim saw and groove the preform before I dome it. Leaves a nice clean edge.
I make a depth mark with a permanent marker on the trim saw blade and groove it by hand against the fence...
Works for me.  :dontknow:
Bill

Bill

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »

How do you do the wire wrap?

Allen

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:45:41 PM »

I also us a trim saw and cut the groove after preforming and before doming.

However to ensure the cut is straight and a consistent shallow depth I use 2 pieces of wood.
First thin ply that I cut the blade into so the blade will not wobble.
Second piece about 2.5cm(1") thick for the back of the cab to rest against when cutting.

To control the position of the groove on the cab I marked the side of the wood at the same radius as the saw blade then cut away the wood to the distance I want the cut from back of cab. Make a step on the side of the wood.

To control the depth of the cut I put two screws on the end of the wood so they rest against the front rim of the blade plate. This allows adjustment of the position to the depth you want and allows for adjustment as the blade wears or is renewed.

I did show pictures of the set up in the old forum( http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,17326.0.html ) so should be available in the archive. This is an early model before depth control was fitted.

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »

How do you do the wire wrap?

I loop a wire around the stone and then turn it up and form a double bail with it, bringing the ends back to the stone. Then I wrap the 4 wires from the stone girdle and bail with a second piece of wire, tucking in the ends...
Bill
(I am not a wire wrap guy very often and this is a basic technique)

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 32 queries.