Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need to buy a ???? I have no clue what I need?!?! HELP!!!  (Read 2085 times)

BrokenKarmaVintage

So I take broken vintage glass and make jewelry. I am a collector of vintage glass and as I saw so many sad pieces get broken I wanted to help repurpose them. I exchange a broken dish for a free piece of jewelry and then I use the remaining dish to make stuff to sell on etsy. I have to keep my cost down and ideally reduce he time it takes to produce items to be able to continue to offer free exchange. Sooo...

I need something to quickly and efficiently reduce he thickness of my glass. I take a broken piece and shape it or in many cases cut into a circle with diamond tipped whole saw. Then grind it smooth with a cheapy grinder from the craft store. Before grooving and wore wrapping I have to thin out the glass bc the weight otherwise would not mAke good jewelry.
 Ideal budget like $300. ☹️
But if I know what's best can try to save.

Do I need a flat lapidary machine?  Or a wet belt sander? Or a diamond blade on a grinder. Or, or, I have no clue...

Please help this always learning self taught gal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barclay

Re: I Need to buy a ???? I have no clue what I need?!?! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »

I would recommend an Ameritool flat lap.  It is a bit higher than your budget, but it is a simple sturdy too.  I have one.  Stay away from the Inland Lapidary machine, it is poorly designed and the motor does not last.

BrokenKarmaVintage

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:06:06 AM »

Thank you. I will look into it!!!

BrokenKarmaVintage

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:11:11 AM »

Here are some examples of what I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »

Those are all really really neat!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

BrokenKarmaVintage

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:14:29 AM »

Still looking fir advice on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 04:15:54 AM »

I believe you will be looking for a flat lap.  These are very simple machines but for some reason the prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.  If you are handy, you can make one with a circular saw blade.  The shaft needs to be sealed so it can be run wet.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 07:03:38 AM »

I agree that you most likely need a flat lap.  Either Ameritool or All-U-Need will work fine.  If you are generally just going to be flattening backs of pieces, a 6" lap model will be less expensive than the 8".

Check local Craigs List, Ebay, and estate and garage sales for used machines.
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »

Having a coach myself I know the confines and space issues.  Trying to find the balance of workability and size is always an issue.  I think the DP Pixie is close in size to my first piece of equipment "the Opal Machine" 4" 5 wheel setup. It is very light weight and compact but gives you the ease of grinding without changing laps constantly.  That being said if you can't find an old Opal machine or if pixie is that much bigger I would also recommend the Ameritool.  To get around the lap changes just work in batches of cabs doing 10 or more per stage saves time. 

For a saw I will first say what may look appealing but I wouldn't do it again.  Although I have purchased one of the small very lightweight HiTech Diamond 6" saw I wouldn't recommend it.  It turned out very cheaply built and very under powered even for simple slab cuts.  It always feels like the saw will stop even on the highest speed setting.  The motor which is direct drive on the blade is just held into the saw with 2 hose clamps holding with a small piece of foam between the motor and the plastic.  That doesn't guarantee much of a guaranteed 90 degree blade to saw table.  I would stay with a small 4" to 6" trim saw like the Covington 6" that uses a more std. motor.  You would be a lot happier just because it will work better and still in the more compact range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 42 queries.