Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nova Wheels  (Read 4046 times)

Steve Ramsdell

Nova Wheels
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »

I've been looking, learning and decided to bite the bullet and get Nova wheels to replace the wheels  on a Genie.  The dealers all seem to be within a dollar or two on cost per wheel.  So before I do something foolish (as usual) I thought I'd take some time and get a little more info.  Can anyone recommend a good dealer for prices?  There used to be a difference.  What are the best grit size for the 4 softer wheels?  And without starting arguments, are there wheels as good as from the original company?  Thanks in advance.
Steve

Rockoteer

Re: Nova Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »

I've been looking, learning and decided to bite the bullet and get Nova wheels to replace the wheels  on a Genie.  The dealers all seem to be within a dollar or two on cost per wheel.  So before I do something foolish (as usual) I thought I'd take some time and get a little more info.  Can anyone recommend a good dealer for prices?  There used to be a difference.  What are the best grit size for the 4 softer wheels?  And without starting arguments, are there wheels as good as from the original company?  Thanks in advance.
Steve

ronsrocks on ebay.   I think he is about the best.  Good prices, quality stuff, quick shipping.
Gary (Rockoteer)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:00:33 PM »

For production cutting I liked Eastwinds but while they are more aggressive over  the time you use them they wear out faster.Most cutters don't worry about how they can save a few minutes per stone and  novas are a joy to use once broken in.

edgarscale

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »

i get a lot of my supplies from:   www.thk.hk     yes the web address is correct.  they are from hong kong.   you would have to pay shipping of about $20 and register.  some material is worth it.  i've never had problems to date. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »

https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=95921&catID=1079

http://www.diamondpacific.com/freecatalogfromd.html

https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=95921&catID=1079

sinter wheels, i find work best,
if used with the right pressure and to use the whole face of wheel while grinding.

A stack of 8  MK-303 notch 8'' blades for rough grinding.

Silicate life form

Rockoteer

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »

A stack of 8  MK-303 notch 8'' blades for rough grinding.

I like this idea.  I assume it lasts a long time???

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:13:59 AM »

I used a stack of mean green blades 15 of them on my tile saw as a grinding wheel and it lasted two years of professional daily use , thousands of stones.

gunsil

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:24:59 AM »

There is also the option of getting your present wheels re-coated which is a cheaper option. Johnson Bros. provides this service and the wheels they had on show at Quartzite looked very nice and the company says they cut as fast and outlast original novas. I intend to try their service soon.

Rockoteer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »

I started a file of 'tips and tricks'.  some good tips here.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »

Thank you all for the info. Guess I'll try Ron's Rocks and send the old wheels in for a retread to \Johnson Bros. when the new ones come in and that Hong Kong company sounds like something I've got to try.  Thanks all.
Steve Ramsdell

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

I hesitated to post this because DP has been very good to me.  But money is money and none of us seem to have an abundance of it.  We take savings where we can.

For the past several months I've been use-testing Johnson Bros. SuperNova resin wheels.  I cut a lot of cabs and so far am very impressed with their quality.  I'm using their 1200 and 8K wheels only so can't speak to other grits, but they seem to be holding up as well or better than a new Nova 3K I installed at the same time.  They sell at about half the price of DP Novas, so are worth considering.

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »

Ron's Rocks off Ebay has the best prices for the wheels.  I just located another person doing resurfacing out of California but have not tested any of the wheels yet.  He charges $25.00 per wheel plus shipping.  The people I have talked to that have used his wheels say that they cut as well and last as long as new Novas.

Bob johannes
The Amethyst Rose

TRG

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »

I've been using Diamond Pacific Nova wheels for the past 15 years and have only bought from Kingsley North or Rons Rocks on ebay. I won't use anything else based on the consistent results. The resurfacing thing sounds interesting!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 06:31:18 AM »

Bob, would you care to share that person's name?  It would be beneficial to have a choice.  Thanks!
Robin

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

https://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/silicon-grinding-wheels.html

Silica wheels to rough out material, cabbs, thumbing material, edge of slab cut. then the fine cut of diamond.
 High points on rough kill diamond wheels.

I have 10'' grinder wet. and a E-10 highland 8'' cabb unit with three diamond wheels.
 The 10'' wet grinder I change wheels from diamond to 3x8 expandable drum.

The link above has nice stock inventory.

Jack

Silicate life form
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 52 queries.