Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezing at 78  (Read 1243 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
Freezing at 78
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »

Summer seems to finally be over.  We've had a few days so far that the temperature only hit a high of 78 or 79.   Love the area we live in, but the summer does get a bit oppressive with the heat.  It will be nice to start doing work outside again. :)
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Freezing at 78
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »

Your still higher than my place gets most years. Snow and ice are building in the mountains here and my daughter had her first frost.

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »

Oh, I'm sure there are places that call this "warm".  But coming out of the Las Vegas summer when it regularly hits 98F (at 2am), this 75F weather is simply wonderful.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »

It is the same with me. When it gets over 50  it seems a bit unnatural. A few years ago we never hit 55 until July 5 and never went above 70 that year and I loved working outside in the cool. You get habituated but I will admit I went to Palm Springs for two weeks last winter  and really enjoyed being in the pool all day.I must be getting old.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »

This was the first summer in 35 years that I haven't had to work in the desert heat (with the exception of the summer of '96 when I lived in Seattle).  We were doing a job that required night work all this summer.  The job is wrapped up and last night was my last shift of night work.  I'm back on days starting tomorrow.  But the last 4 months were all nights, a pleasant time to be working outdoors when you live in Las Vegas.  It was a great summer!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »

I think we get less tolerant of extremes either way.  I know I am no longer fond of high temps where 15 years ago I wouldn't think twice about digging Opal in 110 to 115 temps.  When I was young we moved from Anchorage to Hollywood in the summer and wow was that a shift.  Even when I lived in Tahoe I would get on my motorcycle in short sleeves when it hit mid 50's now I would have a jacket on lol.  Not sure if I would still acclimate if put into another climate for a year but I think that I would partially adapt but probably long for the year round moderate climates.

Back

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »

Hi All

So glad to see the temp's dropping. that means soon I will have time to work with stones :thumbsup: No more grass to mow, no more garden to tend to, no more fruit trees to worry about ect.

Cant wait
Bless
Shawn

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

The average temperature on the island today was 90 !!!I have never seen anything like it in 30 years. Thirty degrees colder tomorrow with wind finally and a better dose of rain , normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.